Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Hey all--

Long time no see! I haven't been here in a while, but I wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on an issue I'm having with a Goo Kit.

I kitted a handful of lamps last year--one I gave away, one was for a friend, and one was my 90's model Silver Streak, which I kept for myself. (I also kitted a Grande for a friend who bought his own Goo Kit. It went really, really well!)

Anyway, for the one I kept, I used a mixture of yellow and green dye that was included in the kit. It looked really nice for a while, but now I've noticed that for about the last 3 hours of an 8 hour run, the goo starts to get translucent. It flows fine, but the color just absolutely sucks. I like the goo to have a melted crayon look, and the Magma Tower dye makes it look like a cheap Chinese lamp that I got for $10 on Amazon. I don't like being able to see through the blobs as they glide past each other.

I know that I used a good amount of dye, because the color is very deep and rich, but it just looks terrible after it's been running for a few hours. The lamp is definitely not overheating. I have it on a dimmer at about 3/4 brightness, and the blobs always stay nice and big until I turn it off at the end of the day. 

So I don't have a goo problem, I have a color problem. Any suggestions? I'm really considering re-kitting this thing, but I'm definitely not doing the green/yellow MT combo again.

Views: 667

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yep...most def

http://www.peakcandle.com/category/Candle-Dyes/Liquid-Candle-Dyes.aspx

Carol said:

I need to get dye from another source.  Vox did a blue one that is still keeping it's color as far as I know.  He got his dye from a candle company online that sells supplies for candle making.  I really like the color he chose as far as saturation.  I have to search for the link, or email Vox, but If and when I decide I want to try another blue I def won't be using the mt dye.  As a matter of fact, I dumped the whole thing into the already purple lamp to help turn the goo black for my orange/black so it's GONE!!!

As always, thank you Keith!!! I would have never thought of Peak......the 80's brain.......

All of our problems would be solved if we could get back the LL USA formula! But I don't see that happening unfortunately.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Mark Goo created this Ning Network.

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2021   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service