Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I was just wondering if a Mathmos Astro lamp is roughly the same size as that of a 17 inch 32oz US China lamp.

I am considering getting a Mathmos Astro at some point and I thought since I have a few unused 17 inch lamp bases, maybe I could strip out the socket, cord and switch assembly and use that in a Mathmos rewire.

After my latest China lamp screw up as mentioned in my last thread, I think I'm ready to see what a REAL lava lamp really is!!!

Views: 147

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's the spirit bro!  Don't buy this china crap they trying to push on us.  Just go pre 2003 or like you said Crestworth or Mathmos Lamps is the way to go.  Good luck with the search!  The struggle is real!

Yep. I have definitely decided the very next lamp I buy is going to be a Mathmos Astro.

I have found 2 on Ebay that I like. Both are new in box. One has red wax in violet liquid on a copper base while the other has orange wax in yellow liquid on a polished silver base.

Obviously both these lamps are very pricey at about $170 each and then add another $80 for shipping but I have a feeling it will be well worth it.

Well,it's official.

I ordered a Mathmos Astro lamp this morning. Came to just under $200 with shipping. After talking to Claude J, I plan to leave the original UK wiring in place and order a UK to US plug adapter and replace the supplied 240V 35W halogen bulb with a Satco E14 130V 40W reflector bulb as mentioned in another thread.

I'll definitely post pics of this lamp once it arrives.

I really can't imagine why they would put halogen bulbs in lava lamps other than availability. I would think they would get WAY too hot for lava lamp use.

I kind of feel the same way about halogen bulbs.  They were all the rage until fires started because of them.  But most of those lamps used 1000 watt bulbs, you could cook with those things!

Donald Besaw Jr said:

Well,it's official.

I ordered a Mathmos Astro lamp this morning. Came to just under $200 with shipping. After talking to Claude J, I plan to leave the original UK wiring in place and order a UK to US plug adapter and replace the supplied 240V 35W halogen bulb with a Satco E14 130V 40W reflector bulb as mentioned in another thread.

I'll definitely post pics of this lamp once it arrives.

I really can't imagine why they would put halogen bulbs in lava lamps other than availability. I would think they would get WAY too hot for lava lamp use.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service