Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

On a whim, I sent a message to Mathmos US asking about the Fluidium Lamp and it's COMING SOON status on the website for AT LEAST a year now!

This is the response I got : 

I had a talk with the staff yesterday about the volume of customers asking about 
The US Fluidium lamps.
I was SURE to ask that they be put on the order.
They should be in within the month.
If not sooner.
All the best.

We shall see.......won't we?    :)

Views: 795

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have been trying to read all the threads, but there are a lot of them to go through.  The reserve has to be $800, since when it was at that amount, there was no reserve showing, it apparently had been met.  Chantal tried a BIN, but he wouldn't budge.  Chantal, I have no idea why that other person retracted their bid, but I saw it on the bottom of the bid history a couple of hours ago.   I guess you're right too, Erin, they told Phishy the Fluidium was coming back within the month, but told Trevor it was discontinued and not coming to the US.   That picture is still on the Mathmos US site saying "Coming Soon" under it.   Weird.....At least I like my US Telstars.  That might be all we get, and at an expensive price too.   Not many left either.

Question for Erin (or whoever has an opinion!)........just out of curiosity, in relation to all the disappointment surrounding Mathmos, is it the QUALITY of their items everyone is disappointed with?

Or is it more disappointment over their business practices? Like customer service, US pricing, US availability (or lack thereof), poor communication with enthusiast community, etc..........???

Like Marleys Ghost, I recently took the plunge and bought a US Telstar, and aside from the price, I think it looks & runs GREAT!

......but maybe i'm just a lava noob & don't know any better!!!!!!   :(

My issue is their lack of items available to the US. I inquired about purchasing from the UK and having it shipped here. I was told I had to order from Mathmos US. I think it only fair that if I pay for the costs that they send it to me regardless of where I am.

Phishy Lava said:

Question for Erin (or whoever has an opinion!)........just out of curiosity, in relation to all the disappointment surrounding Mathmos, is it the QUALITY of their items everyone is disappointed with?

Or is it more disappointment over their business practices? Like customer service, US pricing, US availability (or lack thereof), poor communication with enthusiast community, etc..........???

Like Marleys Ghost, I recently took the plunge and bought a US Telstar, and aside from the price, I think it looks & runs GREAT!

Same with me, Phishy.  I have been more than satisfied with my Telstars, they are built great and the lava flow and colors are wonderful.  I do wish they would make other types also, but in the meantime, I am perfectly happy.   It is disappointing  to be promised other lamps though.  I also, would love to see Fluidiums and Jets to add to my collection.  

Phishy Lava said:

I believe James had mentioned that he typically pays between $1000 - $1200 to purchase a Lunar off UK eBay and get it shipped to the US.  I really thinks he wants his initial investment back (or close to it), and thus the reserve.  I can completely understand that and can't blame him. 

Marley's Ghost said:

He should have taken Chantel's offer then, Jim.   He obviously is not hurting for moolah, best not say what I think about that in public.   So, what is the "Holy Grail" of lamps?    I thought everyone on here wanted a Lunar.  Then again, I haven't been here that long. 

Generally, the quality of their new lamps is OK, but you'll find threads here stating otherwise. 

Personally, my big disappointment is their lack of customer service, marketing and overall business approach here in the US. We've been teased for too long.

Some more reading:

http://oozinggoo.ning.com/forum/topics/first-order-on-mathmos-us-no...

http://oozinggoo.ning.com/forum/topics/mathmos-usa-site-is-up

http://oozinggoo.ning.com/forum/topics/mathmos-lamps-usa

http://oozinggoo.ning.com/forum/topics/update-change-to-the-mathmos...

http://oozinggoo.ning.com/forum/topics/mathmos-us-and-their-quality

Phishy Lava said:

Mathmos UK cannot sell/ship their lamps here directly because of trademark/patents by Lava Lite. If you notice, the lamps that Mathmos are selling on the US site do not have the trademark "lava lite" shape. 

Chantal said:

My issue is their lack of items available to the US. I inquired about purchasing from the UK and having it shipped here. I was told I had to order from Mathmos US. I think it only fair that if I pay for the costs that they send it to me regardless of where I am.

I guess I would feel the same way too, Jim, and definitely want my money back at the very least.  A profit would be nice too, and I had no idea they were that expensive.  Sorry if I sounded critical, I don't know much about all this yet.

Jim said:

I believe James had mentioned that he typically pays between $1000 - $1200 to purchase a Lunar off UK eBay and get it shipped to the US.  I really thinks he wants his initial investment back (or close to it), and thus the reserve.  I can completely understand that and can't blame him. 

Marley's Ghost said:

He should have taken Chantel's offer then, Jim.   He obviously is not hurting for moolah, best not say what I think about that in public.   So, what is the "Holy Grail" of lamps?    I thought everyone on here wanted a Lunar.  Then again, I haven't been here that long. 

Erin, the quality of these Telstars is perfect.  I have no idea about any other lamp made by Mathmos UK or US, since I only have US Telstars.   I am not disappointed, and was apparently lucky in the customer service dept. too.   Must be a hit and miss thing, much like the differing stories everyone who calls them gets about the updates on lamps arriving in the US. 

The quality of Mathmos lamps overall is very good - for most people. The customer service is hit and miss. 

All I can figure is that I had a hit on the day I called.   Not to mention he called me back twice at home and emailed me to see if I got my Telstar and how I liked it.   I know others have NOT had that experience.   I must have called on a good day.

I think the holy grail of lamps is different for everyone. For some a Humongo/Colossus. For some an imperial. And some maybe a century. Everyone's different.

Marley's Ghost said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service