Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I am sure many of you have had problems with loosing caps, breaking caps, or just getting a lamp without a cap. Well i believe I have come up with a solution.

As some of you may know there is a technology called 3d printing. You make a 3d model on the computer in a number of programs (auto-cad, inventor, ext.). Well there are online sites where anyone can upload models for people to purchase (purchase a copy printed out) their models. The site takes some money and the rest goes to the creator. 

Knowing this if we were to have someone create a cap replica in a 3d model program and then put it online we could then buy replacement caps for lamps. I would think the first ones made would be non-screw caps because they would be much easier to make. So we could make 8, 12, 20, 32, 52, and grande size caps for our lamps.

The main problem I see is finding someone who can successfully make the models. I have little experience in auto-cad, but am decent with inventor. If someone on here is in a career that uses these could start and online shop for us to make some extra money. The main online 3d printing site is called ShapeWays and offers users to have a number of options for the material of what is being printed. It can be many colors of plastic and nylon, silver, gold, aluminum, sandstone, and maybe some more things.

This is just an idea so give me some feedback below. I just think this would be great for the site since i see people trying to buy caps frequently.

Views: 200

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i think this is a wonderful idea, and actually think the demand for screw caps would be high since they tend to crack over time.  it would be a niche market though and don't think it would be that lucrative of a business by itself, but i'm sure you could sell a few to passing members on this site and eBay.

Ok, so after playing around in autodesk inventor I played with a feature that allows you to add threads to something. So I made a cap with fake dimensions and then threaded the inside of it. This would effectively replace a screw cap, but you would need the rubber inner ring. Overall this project would be possible to accomplish if somone put in the work.

would love to, but i don't have a 3D printer.  nice work.  i bet i know i guy on the web that would.  this crazy guy on youtube named "barnacules" likes to 3D print random stuff.  it would be worth asking, but i would send him the final plans first so he can just print it.  just a thought.  i don't have the time or motivation to pursue it though.

https://www.youtube.com/user/barnacules1

The screw caps have an indention to seat an o-ring.  If that is not there the o-ring will not stay in place to seal the cap, at least I haven't been able to get one to seat using plain screw tops for beverage bottles.

I wouldn't want to have another person get involved. I think I am going to make a 32oz cap, see the results and then post it for everyone here.

Brad said:

would love to, but i don't have a 3D printer.  nice work.  i bet i know i guy on the web that would.  this crazy guy on youtube named "barnacules" likes to 3D print random stuff.  it would be worth asking, but i would send him the final plans first so he can just print it.  just a thought.  i don't have the time or motivation to pursue it though.

https://www.youtube.com/user/barnacules1

cool.  good luck!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service