Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Good news for all of you who have a clouded Mathmos glitterball red, blue or green...
I don't know this method works also for the silver ones as well...
I have found a way to renew the mercy liquid..

It takes some experimenting.... to find the right combinations...

The trick is to make a liquid that is almost as dence as the lava...

Glycerin is almost perfect but not just dence enough...

So I use in glycerin solved Sugar to make it dencer....

First step..  removing the screw cap...  this is a project on its own...

Get a pan of boiling water ready....   take the bottle at room temperature and first hold the cap and bottleneck under a tap of running hot for a few minutes, then hold the cap in the pan with boiling water for a few minutes...

By now the cap should come of easy....  if not..  repeat everything and use pliers and a towel so not to damage the cap to much..    

Pore the liquid through a sieve or silk screen in order to retain  as much as the lava as possible..

Carefully clean the inside of the bottle with cold water and some detergent.. and let it dry.

Buy a liter of glycerin and bring about a third of it this to a boil in a pan...    then slowly add some fine white sugar (250 grams) and keep stirring till until all the sugar has solved.

Be carefull not to boil it to long or to hot...  the sugar will caramelise and become brown....   this is not what we want...  keep stirring...

Let the liquid cool before refilling the glitterball bottle..

you may have to tweak by adding glycerine or solved Sugar...

Succes...

Views: 398

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Other user before wrote that the liquid in Mathmos Glitterballs was 100% pure glycerine?

But that didn`t work for you?

Hello.
No.. mine could not lift the lava up at all....the lava just stayed at the bottom.. perhaps there are different grades of glycerin..?

using 100% glycerine worked for mine.

Peter Panussi said:

Other user before wrote that the liquid in Mathmos Glitterballs was 100% pure glycerine?

But that didn`t work for you?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service