Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Hi all

I managed to nab another one of these beauties recently, sadly it didn’t include the celluloid/plastic spinner. Does anyone know where these (probably modern versions) could be obtained from or are available?

Thanks for any input.

Kind regards

Jerome

Views: 206

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How the heck did you find another one! 

Pure luck I suppose. Cost a crazy amount to receive from overseas and with import taxes too.

Jay Goo said:

What do you consider "a crazy amount "? Lol

Modulo '70 said:

Pure luck I suppose. Cost a crazy amount to receive from overseas and with import taxes too.

Jay Goo said:

About £89 all told. Still worth it I think.

Jay Goo said:

What do you consider "a crazy amount "? Lol

Modulo '70 said:

Jay Goo said:

Nice score! If you come across another at that price let me know!! Lol

Modula if the fan and colour cylinder is missing you can get them fireplace replacement fans on ebay and make a new cylinder from OHP film ( over head projector film ) and use translucent  glass paint ( chemical based ) not water based. 

I certainly shall do.

Jay Goo said:

Nice score! If you come across another at that price let me know!! Lol

Cool thanks for the tips johnny.

Johnny said:

Modula if the fan and colour cylinder is missing you can get them fireplace replacement fans on ebay and make a new cylinder from OHP film ( over head projector film ) and use translucent  glass paint ( chemical based ) not water based. 

if you type this in ebay search FIRE EFFECT DOMED SPINNER

there £7.99 and can be cut around if to large

OHP film i use QConnect make as it seems to be the right thickness code number is 00533 and and hold the shade in place i use 3 / 4 staples round the top edge and one at the bottom of shade to hold where the join is and one in the center, when the shade is slipped over the top of the spinner the top staples will rest on the edge of the spinner and stay in place, you will have to measure and cut the OHP film , it sounds complicated and take a few attempts get the shade the right size.  As for the glass paint you will need a solvent based brush cleaner to clean the brushes i use Revel Painta clean, avalible from model shops or on line 

Q-Connect-Laser-Copier-OHP-Film-Pack-of-50-KF00533

MARABU GLASART 15ml JAR SOLVENT BASED is translucent i use it for making new colour cylinders for the mistrolite 

Go to ebay and look under MOTION LAMPS these lamps appear all the time here.  You can also go to http://www.motionlamp.com/motionlamps.asp and see if they have a replacement cylinder or you can ask to have a new one created.  If anyone can find you a cylinder it should be these folks. They have been collecting and selling for a long time.  You may even find one on their website.  You can also try reaching out to Sam and Anna Samuelian online...I think they still take orders and custom design but not 100% sure.  Anna and Sam are the Authors of the collectors guide titled MOTION LAMPS and have connections to folks with lamps and parts for lamps.  Anna at one point even hand painted like new replacement cylinders and even custom made an "L" lamp for Penny Marshall from the hit show Laverne and Shirley.  Penny was a huge fan of motion lamps and had a serious collection of well over 75 plus lamps.  As a matter of fact Penny even wrote a Foreword piece for Sam and Anna's collectors guide which itself is a collector item and not cheap either considering most vintage paperback books are fairly cheap to buy these days.  Your lamp if I'm not mistaken is included in one of the printed editions. Collectors guide is not available for purchase in digital form.  I collect all crazy, cool lamps that use cylindrical motion granted I don't already have it in my collection.  I'm actually glad I started collecting years ago because they are now considered the Tiffany of Americana lamps because they originally sold for less than 5.00 and can now fetch upwards of a 1000.00 depending on the scarcity of the lamp.  Most go for 200.00 but there are a few that can easily fetch 500-1000.  Your lamp usually retails for under 75.00 but on any given day can fetch close to a 125.00 if in New or Excellent condition and someone's looking for one.  You never know who's looking and what they might willing to pay for it.   It's a groovy lamp.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service