Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Anyone know of where to get bulbs for the 32oz lamps? I brought home 2 clearviews and one of the bulbs blew the instant I turned it on. 

It needs 25w reflector bulb, but I learned last night from my purchase at Wal-Mart that not all reflector bulbs are created equal. 

The GE soft whites are a bit too convex and the globe just kind of wobbles on top. 

Views: 1643

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wouldent a R39 30w reflector work fine (ushal bulb for many lava lamps) as its a 32oz. 

If not and its diffcult to get the lamps then contact LL and see what they can do.

did you find a source?  mine just blew and home depot doesnt have this bulb.

I emailed LL about this last week...no response yet.  I've searched the internet too, no dice. 

The 30watt do work. I use this one

http://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lamp30r39n125v.html

Tim Gill said:

Wouldent a R39 30w reflector work fine (ushal bulb for many lava lamps) as its a 32oz. 

If not and its diffcult to get the lamps then contact LL and see what they can do.

Good to know the 30w isn't too much.  I have 2 of those from the "groove tube" days.  Back when spencer's sold those they sold the bulbs too and I bought a couple.  I was going to order a few from the site you linked too but wasn't sure if the 30w would be too much.

If you use a fader switch then you can go to 40W bulb and custom tune your lamps for maximum performance. One important thing to remember with the bulbs--if your bottle is wobbly with a new bulb that means it is sitting ON the bulb and the bulb is too long. This can result in a blown bulb and/or a cracked bottle! Be very careful about the height of your replacement bulbs. It's good to hold on to the original bad bulb so you can match the height correctly.

Yay LL has them now!!  Check them out on their new site http://lavalite.com/replacement-bulbs

This reminds me about the new line of Clearview lamps...buyers beware! I purchased one, returned it as damaged and the replacement had the same problem-- they packed the top cap inside the base area where the bulb normally goes and during shipping it gets jostled around enough to create a row of tiny dents all the way around the middle area of the cap. Hopefully the factory packaging process will be adjusted to correct the error!

I just bought a red clearview and there is a slight ding in the base, but it's not noticeable because it's a red metallic.  I would return it, but unfortunately my Spencer's is over an hour away and that was the last clearview red they had.  It's on the side of the lamp so you really can't see it and it didn't take the paint off.  Can these bulbs be purchased at Lowe's?  That's where I get all my bulbs, especially those weird reading lamp bulbs  for my Wizard that I can never find anywhere!!!  I think it's a C11 or an 11 something or other.  Now I have another weird bulb to try and find.....

What you need is called a reflector bulb. I have no idea about which bulbs Lowes has, but you can find these bulbs on ebay. Try searching under "lava lamp bulb". I would go 35W or 40W for the clearviews.

Carol Morrow said:

I just bought a red clearview and there is a slight ding in the base, but it's not noticeable because it's a red metallic.  I would return it, but unfortunately my Spencer's is over an hour away and that was the last clearview red they had.  It's on the side of the lamp so you really can't see it and it didn't take the paint off.  Can these bulbs be purchased at Lowe's?  That's where I get all my bulbs, especially those weird reading lamp bulbs  for my Wizard that I can never find anywhere!!!  I think it's a C11 or an 11 something or other.  Now I have another weird bulb to try and find.....

Tom K, that's why I kind of wanted to buy the bulbs local because the ones that LL sells exclusively for the Clearviews and the one that they come stocked with are the 25 watter's and I'm sorry but 5 hours to wait for a warm up is ridiculous imo so I want to try a 35 or possibly 40 with a dimmer (they're on sale for 1.90 ).  If that doesn't work I want to be able to return the bulbs though.  Kind of feelen not sure about a 40 with that plastic ring though.  Have you tried a 40 on your Clearview?  Do you also have a dimmer or is a 40 reflector ok?  It's a 32 oz.

OOPS, sorry Tom, I just reread your post up above......

I personally thing a 40w would be a bit hot for the plastic.  I have used a 30 watt which seems to be perfect...and will also get a usa globe flowing and will run all day.  I have one on my desk at work and its on 10 hrs every day, comes on at 8am and off at 6:30pm.  Takes about 2 hrs to warm up which isn't bad. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service