Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I'm having a really hard time finding pricing info for vintage lava lamps, my current fascination being the Squiggle Planter. I only know of the site worthpoint, but of course, it is barred by a $20 monthly membership payment. Normally i would just check ebay or other shopping sites to get an estimate, but the Squiggle Planters only have a handful of photos on google images, so you can imagine how many listing there are for them (basically 0). Do you guys have a better method for this stuff, or is it entirely guesstimation, with the hopes that you dont high-ball it, or worst, low-ball it.

Views: 127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It all depends on condition, color combo, and flow.  I would say current market (which is currently high) they are around $150-200 in fair condition with decent flow.  Any other thoughts?

That is about right. Currently prices are inflated on eBay due to people stuck at home and bored. Expect closer to $200 right now in excellent condition. A lot of it is determined by the condition of the lamps base and cap and the condition of the globe. If the base and cap is in bad shape expect it to go for considerably less.

Ah, i figured that to be the case.. is this also true for refurbished lamps? Say, if the recipe produces a good flow and clouding / separating resistance, will they go for just as much? I know that, if a lamp is really old, the wax gets quite nasty looking. I have a psych-swirl in that condition, and i plan on giving em' a makeover. I just want to make sure im not tarnishing its value by doing so.

Autumn said:

That is about right. Currently prices are inflated on eBay due to people stuck at home and bored. Expect closer to $200 right now in excellent condition. A lot of it is determined by the condition of the lamps base and cap and the condition of the globe. If the base and cap is in bad shape expect it to go for considerably less.

A restored lamp is better than a lamp with bad wax any time. I don't know if it will go for just as much though. It just matters how much time you want to put into it and what your time is worth to you. Doing a restoration the right way is going to be expensive no matter how you do it. A Gookit is $65+ and so would any other USA made older donor lamp. Trying to make your own formula will leave you disappointed because it will be even more expensive and will take a lot of trial and error.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service