Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Converting foreign lamps.




Also here:



---the section below will be rewritten eventually.

ERIN: I got this lamp off eBay last year and felt my best bet for future enjoyment was to re-wire for the US. I made one really bad attempt (seen here: https://oozinggoo.ning.com/forum/topics/mathmos-jet-rewire) and then it sat in the basement for several months. Don't judge me! :D

The conversion is embarrassingly simple and it's maddening it took me this long to do it.

I'd like to thank Autumn, Lamphead (Jim), Dr.What (Shawn) and Weebotech (Rob). I couldn't have done this without your help, pics and advice.



  • One steel nipple (I know, the name makes no sense) - 1/8" IP thread, 1" length
  • Two  1/8" locknuts

3 washers:

  • Two for the bottom of the lamp: 3/8" x 1 1/4"
  • One for the top on the other side of the lamp: 3/8" x 1 1/2"



I took out all UK wiring, socket and black clip that held it all in place. Now just dealing with the base of the Jet, I removed the top part of the base (comes off if you pinch the little clips below). Was easier to re-wire and assemble all parts this way.


The order of the parts went like this from top to bottom (with the nipple going through all parts):

  • 1 locknut
  • Larger washer
  • Mathmos Jet base
  • 2 smaller washers
  • Locknut

So from the bottom, it looks like this:


And from the top it looks like this:

Then, I threaded the cord through and wired it into the intermediate base:

There is some wiggle room here to adjust how close the bulb will sit to the base of the Jet globe - just adjust where everything sits on the nipple (seriously, why are they called nipples?!?!) a millimeter or two up or down. Mine's pretty close and with a 40W bulb, I'm going to need a dimmer - it gets really, really hot.


Make sure everything is secure and tight and then snap the top part of the base back on and you're good to go!


If I've done anything wrong here, someone please let me know! This is working out great, though I know, I know, I need a dimmer. ;)

I am running a 40W S11 bulb (same as what's used in the old Carlisles), like this:


AUTUMN: Okay so I got a metal jet and a plastic jet from weebo today. The plastic jet was a breeze to convert, but the metal jet was a bit of a hassle.

The first problem you will run in to is the bottom of the base is covered.

The solution to this is to heat up the bottom with a hair dryer and start prying from the hole the cord comes out of.  I slowly worked one of these flat box knives around the bottom stopping about every time I got a quarter the way around the base. Eventually the bottom popped off and I was presented with this.

I popped off that metal ring. Since I wasnt going to use it I just crushed it up with a pair of pliers until it came off. On the inside of the base there is a socket that is also glued down. So I turned around the base and turned the hair dryer back on. About 10 minutes later the glue melted and the socket just popped out when I pulled them with a pair of pliers.

While the glue was still soft I put a washer on a long nipple and lined it up with the hole and then I removed the nipple and pushed it down in the glue with a screw driver. Then I assembled the nipple and the socket arm and pulled. I then put a lock nut on the cable and pulled it through the hole. Then I soldered the cable to the socket.

Afterwards I connected the socket to the socket arm and pulled it down into the base. Then I tightened the lock nut I had put on earlier. Then I put the plastic cover back on the bottom of the base. You are now a proud owner of a shiny finger print covered jet that works in the USA.

If you do not want to change the wiring buy a step-up converter here.


They are fairly cheap.


Coming soon...

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2021   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service