Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

So I got the Red/clear Grande from a thrift store about a year ago.  Finally decided to change the fluid on it.  It should have been quick and painless, but I guess today was not my day, lol.

So, here it is uncapped;

Not a pretty site.

Drained the fluid into a jug just in case I need it again.  I then rinsed out the globe to get any residue out from under the wax.  It was really surprising because some of the wax floated out with the water.  This was done on a room temperature lamp, I don't think it's normal for the wax to be liquid at all in these when cold.

Got my bargain find fog juice ready;

Now here is where things got dicey.  I was in major brain-fart mode.  I put all of the fog juice in and then topped off the globe with distilled water.  Umm, whatever happened to slow and easy, and trying to balance the flow?  Well not good results;

Floating wax, cold!!!

Yes my friends, NOT the way to fix a lamp!!!

But it gets worse!

Why does the wax normally sink?  Because the water is lighter, less dense that the wax.  So in my brilliance I go to the next step I had prepared for - using epsom salt to adjust the flow.  Not the thing to do to reduce the weight/density of the water!!!  Oh boy what is wrong with me!!!

So after a break for dinner, and re reading info on OG I pour the new fluid into another jug, pour a gallon of distilled water into the globe and then pour enough new fluid back out of the jug to fill up the globe, and place the stopper and cap back on (not sealed though).

Then place on base and fire her up to see what I have to change to fix it.  

Views: 2219

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well to follow up I diluted the water with distilled and it's close to the right density.  It's a little too "lite" right now.  Also I used bubble mix for surf and while the wax has taken on a more stretch flow the globe has clouded somewhat.  So I'll be getting some SLS as Critter suggested and some more propylene glycol, and distilled water so I can redo this soon.  I like the flow as it is but it stays a little too low now, and I'm really diggin the red so I won't be adding dye to this one. 

Good luck with the fluid change keith!!!  I hated doing those...never had luck with the bubble mix either....

Making good progress Keith. The red wax does have a nice blood red color to it I would not dye it either.

Crit

Don't be fooled folks.  I've tried all these tricks and none have worked.  The only thing I can almost guarantee will work is replacing everything except the coil and buying a Magma Goo Kit.  After trying about twenty of these quick fix ideas like the one here and spending countless hours tweeking flows and  spending tons of cash spent on epsom salt, distilled water, fog juice. surfactants etc. Nothing worked.  If it did.  It was only for a short time then crapped out. My first Magma Grande re-do goo kit was a total success and it's flowing even better today than it did the day I first plugged it in. I've done four Grandes now and all flow like a PRO.  Amazing lava flow and you can have almost any color you can imagine since you color the wax and liquid yourself.  I always leave the liquid sparkling clear since the Magma goo is so stunning to look at all shiny and extra gooey as it effortlessly flows. I thought my Heritage Grandes were awesome when they arrived.  Now I want to re-goo kit all my Grandes.  Even the clear ones.  The clarity of these goo kit lamps when completed is unlike any lava lamp I've ever purchased. Did I mention that the Magma goo starts to flow in half the time it takes for a regular Grande to warm up.  Save your effort and time and buy a Magma goo kit which will save you a lot of grief.  When your new lamp is done you're going to sit back and pat yourself on the back for creating your own custom lava lamp all your friends will envy. Now if I could just figure out how to make chocolate colored lava.  I want a Grande in this color for my gourmet kitchen. Would make me feel like I'm living in WILLY WONKA LAND while I'm cooking. Any suggestions anyone?

J,

I have refurbed more than one Grande and used the original Chinese wax with no problem. All I needed was purified water, kosher salt and surf (I use SLS). It is not hard at all. And they all flowed fine with no clouding. I like the Chinese Grande wax of about 10 years back. I cannot speak for the current Grande wax though.

Critter
I absolutely luv, luv, luv my goo kits!!!! Oh did i tell you i luv my goo kits!!! Lol!!

J,  this may help you and here's why:  1st the link:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2942827

Now this is what I did to get the pink I wanted.  Can't take all the credit, keith told me how to do this.  For a 52 oz, I took a teaspoon of goo and melted it in a small coffee cup.  Then I got a toothpick and stuck it in the red goo and stirred it in the melted goo.  Then I took my violet and did the same thing until I got what I though would make a nice pink.  Took me about 3 trys because at first I had like a wine color and I didn't want another purple lamp.  So if you see what they say, I would take a tablespoon or so and do it that way.  Start with the red and orange, then add the blue or however it goes on the link.  Then freeze that because you don't wanna add hot lava when your lamp is flowing.  Make that sample dye mix into a an ice chunk and add small pieces at a time until you get the brown as dark as you want.  I got a really nice pink doing it this way. 

Let us know how it turns out and if you attempt it pics please.  I would luv to see a chocolate mt kit!!!!!

I'm glad your kits have worked good for you J, but no one is trying to fool anyone.  This fix cost me $7.00, but I do need to redo it.  That will cost barely more that $3.00.  I just picked up fog juice for 99 cents at Goodwill, lol

J said:

Don't be fooled folks.  I've tried all these tricks and none have worked.  The only thing I can almost guarantee will work is replacing everything except the coil and buying a Magma Goo Kit.  After trying about twenty of these quick fix ideas like the one here and spending countless hours tweeking flows and  spending tons of cash spent on epsom salt, distilled water, fog juice. surfactants etc. Nothing worked.  If it did.  It was only for a short time then crapped out. My first Magma Grande re-do goo kit was a total success and it's flowing even better today than it did the day I first plugged it in. I've done four Grandes now and all flow like a PRO.  Amazing lava flow and you can have almost any color you can imagine since you color the wax and liquid yourself.  I always leave the liquid sparkling clear since the Magma goo is so stunning to look at all shiny and extra gooey as it effortlessly flows. I thought my Heritage Grandes were awesome when they arrived.  Now I want to re-goo kit all my Grandes.  Even the clear ones.  The clarity of these goo kit lamps when completed is unlike any lava lamp I've ever purchased. Did I mention that the Magma goo starts to flow in half the time it takes for a regular Grande to warm up.  Save your effort and time and buy a Magma goo kit which will save you a lot of grief.  When your new lamp is done you're going to sit back and pat yourself on the back for creating your own custom lava lamp all your friends will envy. Now if I could just figure out how to make chocolate colored lava.  I want a Grande in this color for my gourmet kitchen. Would make me feel like I'm living in WILLY WONKA LAND while I'm cooking. Any suggestions anyone?

J, EDIT:

Then I got a toothpick and stuck it in the red goo and stirred it in the melted goo. 

I MEANT TO SAY I STUCK THE TOOTHPICK IN THE RED DYE, NOT THE RED GOO......SORRY!  Hope you knew what I mean!!

Sorry folks- MAGMA goo kits are the best . I'm not here to argue the point.  I just want all  you lava lovers to be happy. I received a kit that was messy and leaked and they replaced the kit before I had time to respond to the email request for return item. Now that's what I call superior product and service.  With Magma goo you have so many options to create your own lamp it's fricken crazy not to go with the pro. I love the color and they are much brighter compared to Lava brands  dull wax.  It's 2014 folks- time to upgrade. Trust me on this one.  If you have a Grande lamp or any lamp that is not as clear as you would like it to be.  MAGMA is your answer. By the way- I've come up with a great way to seal your Grande Lamp. Make a cage like a champagne bottle uses to keep the cork in place and apply this technique to the original stopper and lid on your lava lamp and BAM BABY!!!  It's so 3rd grade easy to make one and it works flawlessly. Once the goo has been flowing for hours place the rubber stopper over the top to seal the lamp. Then place your aluminum cap over the stopper. Place your champagne wire cage over the aluminum top and twist the wire until it  tightens enough to keep the cap from popping off the next time you run the lamp. I've done this to all my five Grandes and not one has come loose or off.  All you need is a little wire.  I designed my own after extensive research into how to best keep the lid on after you've opened the Grande.   By the way- I tried other ways to cap my grand globes and not one of them worked as good as my wire twist cage.

J,

I reseal my Grande lamps with a piece of 1/4 inch acrylic siliconed down and then make a wire cage over it. I believe it is a mistake to reuse the original plug as they usually degrade and break apart and litter the wax. You don't have to sell us on goo kits many of us use the stuff with varying degrees of success.. Some of us, like me, use MT goo, reuse lava lite wax, or even hybridize the two. There is no one perfect way to re-do the lamp.

Are you by chance an MT employee? I get that feeling by your post.

I'm not doubting the results with MT too. The point of this post is to show a step by step method for redoing the fluid on a cloudy lamp. If it helps someone fix their lamp then well and good. If it shows others that they might have trouble also and they choose another method then fine and dandy. It's about learning and understanding and doing. I'm sure that one day I'll do a MT globe but for now I'm enjoying the process.
I don't remember mentioning it before but the flow of this globe before was almost nonexistent. Just little grape size blobs a few seconds apart. Now I like the flow better than almost any other that I have. (Well after all it is my baby now) So there is a "look what I did" factor.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service