Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Lava Lite's New Website & The NEW Heritage Collection

http://www.lavalamp.com/

The new Heritage Collection will be available to buy 10/28

**Updated the Heritage Collection will be released today on LavaLite Website at 10am CST. Heres a sneak peak!

*** http://lavalamp.com/heritage-collection ***

Views: 43107

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very sad.......and upsetting.

Erin said:

I sadly don't think we'll see US production again. I think that promise went away when Dale left as CEO. 

Yep, saddening indeed.. I think the brand new wax just needs more heat to keep going compared to my other grande that is a few months old, which runs with less power. Also my pink grande is in a very cool spot of the house compared to my other grande so that could also affect it. And im sure its also 10 times colder up where youre at Lib, here in miami its like 78 outside lol

Yep, Rodrigo, it's a "balmy" 48 degrees up here on the mountain today!  So we're 30 degrees cooler than you are down in lovely Miami.   I'm wondering about the heat issue too.   The Century's lava has finally completely melted because I replaced the 40 watt bulb with a 60 watt.  It's still not flowing well, but at least it's not stuck in "spike and stick" mode.  

Which also leads me to wonder about putting a higher wattage bulb in the Wizard and seeing what happens.  They do all have built in or inline dimmers now, so could be turned down if necessary.   The Wizzie is already flowing, but just slooowww blobs.  I'm gonna try it!!   My other old Wizards all run on 40 watt bulbs.  I do have some 30's and adapters though.   I'll give it a whirl.

EDIT:   The Wizzie already has a 40 watt in it, so forget that idea!!

It's been mentioned several times that there is no US or "China" formula. It's all a matter of how closely the factory follows the formula, both in terms of ingredients and procedures (heating, blending, cooling, etc.). The problem is, Chinese factories have historically been known to cut corners when they can get away with it, sometimes even with the impression that they're doing the customer a favor.

I can't find it now, but I once read a rather interesting article on factories leaving screws out of laptops that weren't absolutely essential to hold things together. Of course, this meant that said laptops generally ended up falling apart within a year or two. (Remember when just about every Dell laptop did this?)

I don't know for certain that the formula has never changed, but it's been made clear that there was no intentional formula change when production moved to China. This doesn't mean I wouldn't love to see production return to the US, but I find comments implying that there's some magic formula that can only be brought back by returning production to the US to be a little exasperating.

Even if there was a different formula who knows if it has been lost or not.  I think though that the main issue is quality control.  Any time you contract out work you loose some control.  USA production would mean in-house control, but I think Erin is right, that ship sailed when Dale left LL.

Alfred said:

It's been mentioned several times that there is no US or "China" formula. It's all a matter of how closely the factory follows the formula, both in terms of ingredients and procedures (heating, blending, cooling, etc.). The problem is, Chinese factories have historically been known to cut corners when they can get away with it, sometimes even with the impression that they're doing the customer a favor.

I can't find it now, but I once read a rather interesting article on factories leaving screws out of laptops that weren't absolutely essential to hold things together. Of course, this meant that said laptops generally ended up falling apart within a year or two. (Remember when just about every Dell laptop did this?)

I don't know for certain that the formula has never changed, but it's been made clear that there was no intentional formula change when production moved to China. This doesn't mean I wouldn't love to see production return to the US, but I find comments implying that there's some magic formula that can only be brought back by returning production to the US to be a little exasperating.

Care to share your smears of wax removal idea?  They really are the only disappointing thing with the grandes.

Erin said:

My Grande is still flowing awesomely. I turned it on last night at 5pm and it's running still. Awesome flow. I still have a few small smears/bits of wax by the bottom, but I think I know how to get those off. Overall, I'm IMPRESSED.

Firing up the Wizard for the third time this weekend. Hoping the flow improves. 

Right after I turn the lamp off and the wax starts all falling to the bottom, I tilt the bottle at an angle so the wax kinda runs up the side and then rotate. That really hot wax will roll over the wax smears and hopefully "wipe" them off the side of the globe. 

Bridget T said:

Care to share your smears of wax removal idea?  They really are the only disappointing thing with the grandes.

Erin said:

My Grande is still flowing awesomely. I turned it on last night at 5pm and it's running still. Awesome flow. I still have a few small smears/bits of wax by the bottom, but I think I know how to get those off. Overall, I'm IMPRESSED.

Firing up the Wizard for the third time this weekend. Hoping the flow improves. 

Erin, I just got my Wizard flowing pretty well.  I think it'll get better too.   Do the old "Wizard" trick of gently pulling up on the bulb socket to get it closer to the lamp.   They are not getting hot enough.   Mine has "snaky" flow and stretchy blobs now!!!

I also put a 60 watt in the Century and got it flowing.  Some is still staying in the top, but is melted.  I'm dimming it a tiny bit at a time till I hit the sweet spot.   I still think this one needs to go back though.  

Good job, Libby!

Marley's Ghost said:

Erin, I just got my Wizard flowing pretty well.  I think it'll get better too.   Do the old "Wizard" trick of gently pulling up on the bulb socket to get it closer to the lamp.   They are not getting hot enough.   Mine has "snaky" flow and stretchy blobs now!!!

I also put a 60 watt in the Century and got it flowing.  Some is still staying in the top, but is melted.  I'm dimming it a tiny bit at a time till I hit the sweet spot.   I still think this one needs to go back though.  

Thank you, Kirk!!!   You all are very good teachers!!  ;-))    And I do listen.....lol

O RLY? That's good to know Marley!

I'm pretty sure there is a difference.... Why would LL give china the secret!?

Alfred said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service