Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I've got a new to me lamp from 1980 - perfect condition - a red Carlisle for $5. It was working beautifully after my first time plugging it in, and then someone shook it...leaving thousands of tiny floating globules...not enough to make it cloudy, they are big enough pieces that I can see all of the little balls of wax floating.

I turned it off after it was shaken and its currently cooling...I still see most of the globules swimming, though it looks like some of them are very slowly settling on the bottom.

Wondering if I can take the lid off once its cool, and pour out the liquid through a filter to strain out the tiny pieces and then pour it back in? Or it there a better way to fix it? Please, please, please tell me I can fix it!

I've attached a picture....albeit not a very good one.

Views: 125

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Update: Bigger globs have settled, smaller globs are still swimming. Glass is still warm to the touch.
I agree with Astrobaby.

I would also suggest that when most of the tiny blobs settle try running it and then let it rest again. This may help speed up the settling process.

I have a Carlisle that was made in 1981 and it still flows well. So yours should flow just fine after everything settles. It may be a little cloudy and that may not go away, but it is not a total loss.

W_J
And so what happened to the idiot who shook it?
"And so what happened to the idiot who shook it?"

....I shook him!!!

The good news: I've just come home from work...the lamp has been sitting (off) for nearly 24 hours now. The master liquid looks fine to me, not cloudy at all. I shined a flashlight through it and couldn't see any tiny floating particles. There is a tiny bit of wax gathered at the top of the liquid, and the rest has settled down to the bottom, and is resting on top of the main wax pool.

So. I guess its time to turn it on again?

I am afraid.

Here goes nothing.......

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service