Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

scored this purple/pink premier for 5 frickin' dollars on ebay! $7.55 for shipping so $12.55 overall! super excited! i haven't had one of these before, what can you guys tell me about it? what are some things i can expect or need to look out for? i've been digging on google images trying to find a picture of one of these lit up, but can't seem to. what color should i expect when lit? i'm figuring the whole thing just goes pink, which i wouldn't mind, but i'm hoping it's not dark like the blue liquid/purple wax ones. i bought one of those from target and HATED it. i like a bright lamp. super excited about this one tho! lady must not have known what she could charge for it. also, it looks pretty good! i looked over the pictures thoroughly before buying and even the base looks new. seems to have been well taken care of!  

Views: 815

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I never had a bad batch.  The only problem I've had is with their blue dye.  Every blue lamp I've done eventually the blue turns into like this weird purple/plum color.  I'm going to order blue dye from a place online called Peak candle company.  They have liquid candle wax dye.  Fellow OG member Voxul has done a blue lamp with it and i believe it is holding it's color fine.  Most of my kits that had trouble flowing was due to a coil issue or not adequate heat.

I believe the last goo order I did was about 6 months ago.  Around there.  I would have to check my invoices in my computer to be able to tell exactly.  I use it up so fast!!  When I know I have goo i  just have to kit something.  Working on kitting my first 32 oz.  May do orange/clear.  I don't know yet.

I would love to goo kit but to be completely honest with you I've fallen in LOVE with this purple/pink premier! the colors are so freaking groovy! it is just still so cloudy. is there anything I can do as far as trying to clear this water without changing it? like maybe filter thru coffee filters or something? I really wanna save the original liquid and will probably goo kit as a very very last resort if I just cannot fix its original contents

Is it usa?  If so I would continue to cycle it for a good month or so.  If it doesn't show any signs of clearing there is a filter you can buy to filter it.  They aren't cheap, but I do know they work.  There is a thread on here somewhere about filtering.  If you type in filtering in the search engine you should come up with some stuff.

no it is China
and I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna buy some expensive filter for one lamp lol. there's no other way?
Not that i know of kaity....i know how u feel. I had to get rid of alot of china lamps due to cloudy water.
would trying coffee filters just be a waste of my time then? :/

and to be honest my other china lamps are the clearest i have right now lol! my pink/white 20oz is SOOOO crystally clear and i love it. my smaller orange/white is really clear too. the blue/white one i gave away was clear too. i used to have a bunch of different lamps as a kid too that i'm sure most of them were china besides one which was the swirly blue/white base and i've never had an experience with a cloudy lamp until this premier that i just got. i even had one of those floor lamps that had a lava lamp on it as well that target i think? sold for a little while and it was clear. i wish i knew what the hell happened to that thing. it just disappeared. 

i'm still really digging this premier even tho its cloudy as hell. i LOVE the color contrast. the wax looks cherry red and the liquid is like hot pink with the light on even tho its supposed to be purple. i'm not sure if its because of the extreme cloudiness that it looks hot pink but its just really cute. i wanna save it so bad hahaha. i'm gonna do the cycling thing for a little while since i literally just got it and maybe with time it'll clear up. i think it was evaporating tho because the gap between water and cap seemed to get bigger so i opened it today and topped it off with water (didnt need much at all) and then tried to recrimp the cap back on but its just loose as hell. it's flowing fine since then and i guess i'm just gonna wait and see if i see any evidence of more evaporation. i dont have anything else to seal it right now. it does seem to have cleared up a little bit since i've been running it, at first you could literally not see anything flowing except for the bubbles that were collecting at the very top of the globe. now it's to the point where i can see their shape/color toward the bottom and i can see them rising through the glass in the middle but its super hazy. if the blobs are more close to the glass you can see them pretty well. i'm just hoping!!! with cycling i can get it to clear more. even if it doesn't go crystal, i'm still gonna wanna keep it. lol

i have these cute purple LED fairy lights in my bedroom and this lamp goes PERFECT with them. UGH i just love it!

It may never clear completely, but if you enjoy it that's all that matters.  Back in the late 60's, early 70's LL had what they called "champagne mist" globes, which were made to be slightly cloudy.

if it just cleared up a little bit more, enough to really see the blobs, i'd be totally fine with it. crystal clear is preferable but it just still looks good to me! 

Now Kaity, I'm not an expert on this stuff, there are members that know a heck of a lot more then I do, I'm more of a dump and run girl.  I am super impatient when it comes to waiting for these lamps to clear.  I'm trying to clear one as we speak and it's clearing but now i'm beginning to think there is a film on the inside of the globe.  I'm trying to keep the mindset that it's one of those champagne globes that keith mentioned, but it just gets on my nerves. 

I do believe that coffee filters can be used to filter wax, but the holes in it are much too large to filter the fine particulate out of the lava fluid that causes that cloudiness.  The filter has to be able to filter particles out that are like super duper small.  I agree with you that to filter one small lamp the cost of buying a filter wouldn't be worth it.  I know members that have them and have filtered grandes, but you're talking 250 oz's.  Maybe you can find another lamp that color, but if you have to have it shipped you still run the risk of it coming cloudy.  You can keep checking Craig's List in your area.  Sometimes you can luck out on there and find a lamp that you can actually inspect before you buy it.  Ebay for me has really been a poke and hope as far as the condition the lamps will arrive in. 

To tell you the truth, you are fortunate that adding the water didn't mess up the flow.  Sometimes it will make the fluid out of whack.  I guess if you only add a little it doesn't matter that much.  I haven't had to do that with any of my lamp cept for my goo kits. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service