Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Lava Lite called me today!!! They plan on bringing back production to the USA :D

Caught me totally off guard but I spoke to a very nice guy, Asher.  He was calling in response to one my e-mails I had sent them a few moths ago about how much I dislike their current product line.  We spoke for about 20 minutes before he had to go.  I thoroughly voiced my opinions on why I haven't bought a lava product since 2005.  First thing I said was, you guys sold so many lamps in the 90s for a reason.  He agreed and said they have plans to re-launch the Midnight, Silver Streak, Elek-trick, and Safari Series in 2013.  He said he has been trying very hard to get production back to the USA since last year.  He said things are looking good and hopefully they will begin production here in the first half of 2013.

I told him that myself and MANY OTHERS would gladly pay the $50 price for a premium product again. I also mentioned that they need to bring back more color combinations and give their customers more choices.  He said he they are working on that again.  They have plans to bring back MOST of the 90s product line  I told him that its a shame I can't go into a store and buy a lava lamp that flows properly.  He said the current (2012) China lamps can ALMOST match the USA ones.  I said by no means will I ever buy one of those again and I buy from eBay.  He begged me not to buy from eBay, and I said then you know what you guys need to do.

Finally, he asked me to send him pictures of what I'd like to see.  I sent him pictures of all the 90s boxes I have (Midnight, Elek-trik, Lava Classics, Silver Streak, Midnight Centurues)  

He offered to make me a 90s Enchantress with yellow liquid and red lava to prove they can still replicate the 90s formula.  I said sure, but we'll see.  

He also said that he was fired back in 2002 when production began overseas and was just recently hired back.  Said he worked in the Chicago factory in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.  

I'm taking all of this with a huge grain of salt but it means progress.  Perhaps all of us unhappy lava collectors finally got through to them throughout the years.  I sure hope so.  I'll update this thread if I hear back from him.

PLEASE EVERYONE - E-MAIL THEM AND SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS!!!  Perhaps next year we'll have a quality product again.  

Views: 4734

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm kinda with Shawn on this one. Shawn was in touch with a rep for quite awhile and all the promises of clear lamps never came to fruition. I am very skeptical anything will change with LL. 

Dr. WHAT?! said:

I hate to burst the bubble of hope here but I honestly wouldn't count on the move back to the USA. I've been told this as well as many other things from a LL rep and none have come true.  So like you said take it with a grain of salt.

I'll believe it when I see it... In any case. I am hopeful!

You'd be foolish to NOT take this news with a huge grain of salt!!!  He said they have plans to bring production back in the first half of 2013.  Will it happen?  Hopefully but I'm not holding them to it.  By this time next year, hopefully we'll have some idea on whats going to happen.

I have to say that on first view of this news its very good to hear as its really what is needed. Knowing LL, there recent history - the move back to the US is questionable but if the entire company really is thinking about it and its not just some rumour that often goes around then its quite believable.

I am doubtful yet interested - if it goes ahead then faith will be resorted in lava lamps as I am worried about there long term future. i feel at times that one day there wont be ANY decent new lamps made (i.e. mathmos stops making lava) and then china stops making lava as well. It ends up being that lava is just not a thing people (i.e. consumers) want anymore so it ends up being just us who are still interested and they end up being just a piece of history.

MattMJB0188 said:

You'd be foolish to NOT take this news with a huge grain of salt!!!  He said they have plans to bring production back in the first half of 2013.  Will it happen?  Hopefully but I'm not holding them to it.  By this time next year, hopefully we'll have some idea on whats going to happen.

I am doing the HaPpY DaNcE

Erin said:

Huh. I'm still in shock. I didn't know you'd been complaining that long. I thought you wrote them on a whim and some dude called you! LOL

it is hard to be optimistic considering the last decade has been over all a huge let down and disappointment but I would think the time has proven to them they best get it right or may as well shut down production, because even those with no knowledge would never buy a second china lamp.. I just hope if it does happen the quality of the base is returned as well , not the cheap metal alloy crap like on my mini rocket..

DooDad said:

Must confess I'm more than a little dubious, as this is more or less the same old song and dance we've heard before. Just wait til NEXT year! Ten years of garbage makes for a long-lasting stink ! There, I'm done; I'll behave.

I could see it happening but not all product/size lines, maybe a select 52oz line and some bigger models.The new building they moved into is much larger than they are using it for, a guy from work said its 25-50 % full. I did just notice some new roof vent stacks installed which would not be needed just for a warehouse ( I drive by the place twice a day 5 days a week lol ). They are still moving high volumes of lamps since they have moved everything into one building, most going to Amazon (90%).

I will try to get a few pics if they leave their lamp display running at night, its usually left on a few times a week and you can see it as you drive by. It looks like they are all bubbling for the few second glance I get when going by plus they have what appears to be a Colossus in a office window lit up.  If I get arrested you all need to post my bail :)

Can you snap and post a pic of the place?

Well not to get in to too much detail, I have been talking to a Lava Lite employee and he has told me about the moving process. They purchased the new warehouse to be used as a production warehouse as well as general expansion purposes. They are also re-buying the old manufacturing equipment that was sold back in 2002. I was told much of the equipment they bought is the original equipment they sold. What Lamphead said seems to back up what I was told. I think they may be serious about moving production back home.

Moving back is one thing that is a positive..but restoring lava formula to its original greatness is another.. and as I mentioned giving us quality bases and bottles is also just as important..I hope they realize most of us serious collectors are grown ups.. not tweens and we don't want sponge bob or barbie designs. I would love to see them take advantage of the collective knowledge here on the OG and come back strong with quality and integrity once again..

Keep us updated.. I am now officially at edge of my seat..

Autumn said:

Well not to get in to too much detail, I have been talking to a Lava Lite employee and he has told me about the moving process. They purchased the new warehouse to be used as a production warehouse as well as general expansion purposes. They are also re-buying the old manufacturing equipment that was sold back in 2002. I was told much of the equipment they bought is the original equipment they sold. What Lamphead said seems to back up what I was told. I think they may be serious about moving production back home.

I think that to move back to the US they have agnolaged and know that there products went down the drain when they moved to china. This is a way that they can not only help there reputation but also if they are serious about it then why just make the same mistake with the same formula but a different place - they know not to do that and be stuipid about it.

I think that they will go back to the 90's formula and fill and assemble the lamps on sight as for the globe and the base manufacture I do question weather it will be made in the USA or still be made in china.

I think once production is brought home they are going to need to take it one day at a time. I'm pretty sure the first batch of USA globes will not be as good as they were when production stopped, yet miles ahead of current china production.

They not only need to make the bases here but as I told this guy, Asher, they need to up their current marketing and stop using the horrible photoshop images on the box. Make your product look as realistic as you can. The lava lamp needs to be "cool" again like if was in the 90s. As of now the current Lava Lamp is a thing of the past and not cool. The 90s made it cool. We need the endless color choices again. They need to give us options.

The ideas with the China lamps are not bad, their just going in the wrong way. Why not have a Chrome Century Series or Ariatorcet Series with 5 color choices available in each? They also need new names too. Will the Midnight and Elek-trick series cut it in 2012-2013?

Time will tell.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service