Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Lava Lite's New Website & The NEW Heritage Collection

http://www.lavalamp.com/

The new Heritage Collection will be available to buy 10/28

**Updated the Heritage Collection will be released today on LavaLite Website at 10am CST. Heres a sneak peak!

*** http://lavalamp.com/heritage-collection ***

Views: 41744

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hear you deb, don't shoot the messenger lol. But my century was still not fully molten at full blast for 12 hours, doing the sticking thing and chunky blobs like it's not warm enough. So then I tested the new century base with both a gookit globe and a USA clear/red both with two different bulbs and neither of them got flowing after 6 hours which usually is on the hotter side for those two globes on normal bases. I think there's some sort of heat problem with this new century base which may also cause the dimmer to be hard to adjust. But even at full blast for 12 hours it never got the yellow/red globe nearly as hot as other bases, which sucks because I love the look and dimmers on these but not if they don't get the globe hot enough :/

I'm completely fine if the lamps just need some break-in time.  My Spensers-bought Neons started out as some of my worst flowing lamps, but now they're my best flowing China-made lamps. 

I just wish LL would give us some more detailed feedback. When they say, "Try running the lamps for a week and control the flow with dimmer switch.", should that be interpreted as running the lamp 24x7? or 8 hours a day for a week or  ??

Jim said:

This advice seems appropriate to me as well.  Let the wax fully break in as I sense that changes the overall density of the wax.  It may be hovering near the top as the virgin wax is still coming together and is lighter while doing so.  I'm a business guy, not an engineering/science guy so I may be in left field here.

All I know if that my Grande started out almost the consistency of Goo Kit wax (partially transparent and bubbly). but the wax color quickly got more saturated.

Brad said:

here is some info. from LL regarding the problems we're having:

Try running the lamps for a week and control the flow with dimmer switch.
We have randomly pulled product and to date I have had good flow.
We have had some wax sticking which will happen in shipping and it takes a few days to melt off.

I honestly don't think the folks at LL know, really. I think they have a few canned statements about what you should try if your lava lamp is not behaving well. They're not experts, sadly. 


I'd say if after a week of running these lamps daily for 6-8 hours, if you're not happy with them, send them back. They cost too much to keep if they are not gorgeous to watch. Two weeks, tops. 

I'm okay with a break in time too but these are having problems none of my other china lamps EVER had. Plus it's cloudy and I know it won't clear on its own..

Egnix said:

I'm completely fine if the lamps just need some break-in time.  My Spensers-bought Neons started out as some of my worst flowing lamps, but now they're my best flowing China-made lamps. 

I just wish LL would give us some more detailed feedback. When they say, "Try running the lamps for a week and control the flow with dimmer switch.", should that be interpreted as running the lamp 24x7? or 8 hours a day for a week or  ??

Jim said:

This advice seems appropriate to me as well.  Let the wax fully break in as I sense that changes the overall density of the wax.  It may be hovering near the top as the virgin wax is still coming together and is lighter while doing so.  I'm a business guy, not an engineering/science guy so I may be in left field here.

All I know if that my Grande started out almost the consistency of Goo Kit wax (partially transparent and bubbly). but the wax color quickly got more saturated.

Brad said:

here is some info. from LL regarding the problems we're having:

Try running the lamps for a week and control the flow with dimmer switch.
We have randomly pulled product and to date I have had good flow.
We have had some wax sticking which will happen in shipping and it takes a few days to melt off.

Just curious - are you using the bulb that was included with the lamp or your own bulb?  The included bulb went into my bucket o crap bulbs.  I used a brand new frosted bulb I had on hand.

Rodrigo said:

I hear you deb, don't shoot the messenger lol. But my century was still not fully molten at full blast for 12 hours, doing the sticking thing and chunky blobs like it's not warm enough. So then I tested the new century base with both a gookit globe and a USA clear/red both with two different bulbs and neither of them got flowing after 6 hours which usually is on the hotter side for those two globes on normal bases. I think there's some sort of heat problem with this new century base which may also cause the dimmer to be hard to adjust. But even at full blast for 12 hours it never got the yellow/red globe nearly as hot as other bases, which sucks because I love the look and dimmers on these but not if they don't get the globe hot enough :/

Not sure what their customer service process is, but Susan does have folks in her office whom I would consider "experts" in terms of the how to get them to properly function.  Their offices are not reserved strictly for administrative staff, they also have technical gurus on location as well.  Susan had to literally drag us out of the lab.

Erin said:

I honestly don't think the folks at LL know, really. I think they have a few canned statements about what you should try if your lava lamp is not behaving well. They're not experts, sadly. 


I'd say if after a week of running these lamps daily for 6-8 hours, if you're not happy with them, send them back. They cost too much to keep if they are not gorgeous to watch. Two weeks, tops. 

Regarding flow, I can say the same thing about my Neons.  They had problems none of my other china lamps had.  So I'm wondering if what we're seeing is just a new type of break-in behavior (trying to remain optimistic for now).  

Cloudiness is a completely different issue.  I've never seen a cloudy lamp get better with time (unless it is off ;) ).  I would say if it is cloudy, send it back. 

Rodrigo said:

I'm okay with a break in time too but these are having problems none of my other china lamps EVER had. Plus it's cloudy and I know it won't clear on its own..

Ah, that I didn't know. 

Jim said:

Not sure what their customer service process is, but Susan does have folks in her office whom I would consider "experts" in terms of the how to get them to properly function.  Their offices are not reserved strictly for administrative staff, they also have technical gurus on location as well.  Susan had to literally drag us out of the lab.

Erin said:

I honestly don't think the folks at LL know, really. I think they have a few canned statements about what you should try if your lava lamp is not behaving well. They're not experts, sadly. 


I'd say if after a week of running these lamps daily for 6-8 hours, if you're not happy with them, send them back. They cost too much to keep if they are not gorgeous to watch. Two weeks, tops. 

At first i used the included bulb, but when i started testing with other globes i used my own known to be good bulbs, i always replace them with frosted GE bulbs, and got the same result, it would melt the gookit and usa wax completely but no flow, just a big dome and this was full blast for 6 hours.

Jim said:

Just curious - are you using the bulb that was included with the lamp or your own bulb?  The included bulb went into my bucket o crap bulbs.  I used a brand new frosted bulb I had on hand.


Absolutely Jonas - some of what they were trying to accomplish on their prototypes I have never even seen attempted on any other motion lamp.  They bring it to market and there will not be another lamp like it (and not even close really).  I think my jaw literally hit the floor when I first saw it as I muttered "no freakin way!"

Jonas Clark-Elliott said:

Jim, I think I have a question that might help us without requiring you to give details.

Would you say at least some of the prototypes you saw, if released to the market, would interest and excite a fairly large number of OGers? That is, not just "same lamp, new skin on the base" or "same lamp, new resin molded base"?

I'm wondering if the problem is their test location.  If all their test lamps are in the same room, running at the same time, then that room is hotter than your average house/office where we use the lamps. 

My house averages 74 in the summer, and as cold as I can stand it in the winter, and I know certain areas where the lamps won't flow.

................................................

:)

Jim said:

Absolutely Jonas - some of what they were trying to accomplish on their prototypes I have never even seen attempted on any other motion lamp.  They bring it to market and there will not be another lamp like it (and not even close really).  I think my jaw literally hit the floor when I first saw it as I muttered "no freakin way!"

Jonas Clark-Elliott said:

Jim, I think I have a question that might help us without requiring you to give details.

Would you say at least some of the prototypes you saw, if released to the market, would interest and excite a fairly large number of OGers? That is, not just "same lamp, new skin on the base" or "same lamp, new resin molded base"?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Mark Goo created this Ning Network.

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2022   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service