Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Hey every one, as I think I have mentioned before, I bought 2 heritage grandes and they wouldn't flow after the second or third run. I contacted Lava Lite, and they sent two more lamps (very nice of them), but these also had flow issues.  Anyway, I am almost 100% sure adding a second coil would get these going. Anybody know of a good source of coils, I know there have been discussions about replacement coils before, but I though maybe there is a better source available now. I tried the plated steel springs from Lowes, and they began rusting in my aristocrat.  I was thinking maybe 5 below lamps? What do you guys think?

Views: 1016

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Screen doesn't work too well huh. Oh well I'll just buy one for parts or some of those empties that come with coils or something. 

Rick, why can't you use the screen you already have in your lamp? 

Well the Goo is only sticking to one side of the coil so I thought the coil was bad but not sure now. It doesn't look rusty or anything. I'm thinking the socket is not centered and only heating up one side of the coil. I'm going to work on it tomorrow and get to the bottom of it. No pun intended. 

Yeah. I put in the jewelry wire coil, and the lamp is no longer a pea shooter. There are still water bubbles coming up through the wax though. I don't know if that is fixable. I'm happy with how it's running now, though I would love to do away with those water bubbles that pull the wax up.

I have some spare coils... if you would like them, let me know and I'll send them to you. They came from a variety of lamps over the years...

great to hear that the jewelry wire suggestion from dr. what worked.  were the bubbles there prior to adding the new coil?

Rick, most of the times it's not the coil that's the problem.......I've had that happen in a lot of my LL lamps, but once kitted and using the same coil are fine now.  Is the lamp overheating?  Sometimes half will detach if the lamp runs too hot.

Rick, one of my heritage grandes does this from time to time. Half waxed coil and sometimes fully disconnected.  What has fixed it so far is to run it on a dimmer, get it flowing and once it floats off halfway or completely dim it down a bit to settle it.  I keep the lamp running for four days straight, tinkering with the dimmer up and down, and after four days I shut it off completely. As it cools on the shut down I twist the globe a few times and then leave it alone for 24 hours.  If it worked right it tends to be fully connected after 24 hours and runs properly again.

I agree with Cow as well, a second coil would fix this issue.  My dual coil standard grande is one of my best running lamps period and it came with two coils.

Rick Gillespie said:

Well the Goo is only sticking to one side of the coil so I thought the coil was bad but not sure now. It doesn't look rusty or anything. I'm thinking the socket is not centered and only heating up one side of the coil. I'm going to work on it tomorrow and get to the bottom of it. No pun intended. 

Well, this lamp was doing the "pea shooter" thing where a water bubble comes up through the wax, and pulls a small pies of wax with it. The jewelry wire helps as the lamp will now flow, but the wax isn't completely sticking to the new coil, so I suspect that is where some water is still getting in. Erin, how much do you want for your coils? I attached a picture of what all my grandes with one coil do. I have tried the dimmer, and all the wax will do is sit on the bottom until it hits the point where it starts the water bubble (peashooter) flow again.
Attachments:

I would like $2 for postage/package - how's that sound? :) Let me go see how many I have...

OooOOo Erin, if you have any spares after sending some to Cow I will buy some off ya!

I have eight of varying sizes. Would like to keep a few, but could part with as many as four. I do not know which ones came from which lamps, nor if they are good ones. All I can promise is clean. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service