This will prevent the wax from moving during drainage.
It foamed while poring, I think I should have done it slowly. I used Plastic Wrap to prevent evaporation.
It wasn't as easy as I thought, the Spatula wouldn't release the wax that attached to it! So, I used the Paint Stick to scrape the wax off of it. Some of the waxy bits got on the glass, I just hope it doesn't attract the rest ;)
I placed the Globe on the Base & turned it on. Since it was gonna take a bit, I figured I could crack open the Sharpie Marker. I was surprised how easy it was. I used the pliers, one set to grab the plastic, silver part & the other set of pliers to grab the gray bottom. A bit of squeezing, twisting, pulling & pop, pop, pop it was apart.
All that is needed is the ink reservoir, so I tossed the rest in the trash. I wrapped the ink in plastic wrap, because I didn't want silver fingertips!
The wax took 40 minutes to melt completely. Time to add the ink!
I placed the Globe on the paper & milked the ink out of it's reservoir. It dripped into the wax, laying an interesting coating on the top. One marker wasn't enough, so I opened the second one & repeated the act.
The ink also dripped down the inside of the Globe! So, I wrapped the Spatula with a Paper Towel & secured it with a Rubber Band. I rubbed the inside of the Globe with the contraption & got it clean again.
I twisted the Globe to mix the ink in, yet it wasn't doing much good.
But placing it on the Base did wonders!
So, now with the wax & ink done, it was time to cool down. I just let it sit an hour or so.
Once it cooled solid, I used the Funnel to pour the master fluid into the Globe.
After I secured the top, I ran it for an hour & let it sit overnight.
This afternoon, I fired it up. I planned on the clouding... But the wax seperated from the coil!
Nothing but Silver Ink on the bottom!
I opened it up & pushed the wax down with my trusty Spatula!
So, I boiled some water, placed the Globe in a pan & filled it up. I let it sit for 20 minutes.
It melted nicely.
I placed the Globe on it's Base & turned it on. 30 Minutes & I had GOO!
The flow on this lamp has never been great, so I thought it was a good candidate for this trial. I'm thinking of adding more ink, to give it a metal feel. For now, I'm happy with the result!
Hope this helps anyone that is interested in creating this effect. I had a great & easy time doing this! Have fun everyone!