Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Just got my Starship (black) lava lamp today. What a dissapointment that was. The base was SHOT!!! Totally been tried to fix with some sort of appoxy or maybe some sort of super glue. This thing has been through the ringer, I tell you. Thank God I know how to restor metel. It really is my fault for not asking the seller questions and going on impulse. So, please please please ask the seller questions and ask for more photos. If the seller refuses or don't respond, don't bid! Here are pics of the eye soar. Thank God the globe is working. It is now being tested on a silver streak base and cap.

Views: 209

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I went through paypal for this but don't feel like going through a dispute over it. I am 90% sure I can fix this and bring it back to it's former glory. I am just glad I have knowledge and know people who can help me make this look like the damage was never done. But that don't mean others can and are left with a pile of junk. Oh, guess what? I was looking at the cord and it didn't have the switch and looks to me that they used a regular lamp cord in its place!

Update on globe: It is working perfectly and looks awesome!

Oh, and if anyone can help me out by takeing apart thier starship and taking pictures of all the parts along with inside and out would be most helpful and be much appreciated. This will help me to restore this back to the way it was.
Im not sure if these will help, it looks like the tabs on yours are broken and you may have to tap out the threads for the screws....even with broken tabs the screws should hold it fine. If you need more pics let me know.

LampHead

Thank you very much! Yes, the tabs were broken. Only one seemed to be ok. did the washers go on the inside or outside? Also, this did take a 40w bulbe, right? Thank you for your time in taking apart your lamp and taking pictures. I don't know much about glues. Does anyone know what to use to strip a very hard glue?

Update on restore: Tried to use a stripping solution, didn't faze it much. Used a very fine sand paper, glue is holding on real tight. person used really strong glue! Will work on it more Sunday afternoon and start reshapeing it. By next weekend I will start the process of repairing missing metel, hope it all goes well. metel of the legs seems to be aluminum, please correct me if I am wrong.
Wow that one look bad!!!!!!

Roger
Just finnished stipping it. And taking out all the dents. I put about 3 coats of primer on it and have about 2 coats of paint on it already. I plan on getting about 6 coats of paint on it and about the same of clear coat. am going to make this thing shine! I bought a new power cord and round switch for it because it had just a crappy and very short lamp cord on it. The cord is like a see through silvery look to it so I think it will make it look nice. Also noticed that the bulb socket is too small for the standard 40w bulbs that normally come with a 32 or 52 ounce lamp. Dose this take a smaller socket bulb that is 40w or did it take a 25w bulb? Also still wondering if those washers go on the inside or outside of the lamp. I am guessing the outside, but would like to have confermation of that.
Hi Brian,

The washers go on the outside and the lamp uses a 40 watt S11N type bulb, the are available at Home Depot, Menards, Ace, Walgreens etc. They are clear bulbs and most times the package will say "high intensity" on it.

LampHead
the washers are on the inside.....where the bulb is......otherwise the screws could pull through...thats how mandys rocket is...i assembled it for her i'll have to ask her where the directions are for it..............................phil
UGH!!! I thought the shed I used was warm enough but I guess not. The paint bubbled and looks horrid. I guess I will wait till spring to resand and paint. oh, and my jack a$$ of a brother knocked off one of the leggs and it snapped in half! have to use JB Weld or find someone with a welder. This lamp is cursed, I tell you! Anyone have a spare base fand cap or this? LOL
Well all, guess the paint job looked pretty decent after all! here is the link to the pic http://oozinggoo.ning.com/photo/photo/show?id=1566398%3APhoto%3A180...
Cool looking lamp

Roger

What the... Oh my... OUCH! Hey Brian... Did you say the tabs (on the legs) are broken, except one? Small world: my black Starship has one leg broken. The others are fine, as are the cone and cord. Pay shipping and I'll send the base off to you for nothin'. I'll disassemble it carefully and pack well. Just drop me a note at jcefoundit@gmail.com. I was wonderin' what I was gonna do with it... Take your leg, my base and legs, and get a complete lamp plus parts, plus you can tinker with that one.
~ Jonas

droped you a line!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service