Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I have two lamps-

A 1977 model 1120 52 oz. Aristocrat with clear iquid and red goo, and

A 1978 model 100 52 oz Century with clear liquid and red goo.

I am having trouble with both.

The Aristocrat works good for a while, but then the lava turns into a solid column that sits there. When I first got it, it didn't do this. It would flow nicely until I turned it off. It started acting like this last night. Do I need a hotter bulb?

The Century arrived in the mail just a few days ago. I bought it for the globe to match my Aristocrat lamp because I had previously bought another Aristocrat that broke in shipping. The Century globe worked fine on my spare Aristocrat base. Today, I tried to use the new globe on the original Century base. I turned both the Century and the Aristocrat on at the same time. The Aristocrat began to flow after roughly an hour and a half. THe Century never did start to flow. At about two hours operation, I swapped the globes. The glode that was on the Aristocrat base cooled and stopped flowing, and the globe that was on the Century base started to flow a little bit.

Did the old big Century bases use a lightbul differnt than the standard 40 watt appliance bulb? When I bought the Century it had an odd spotlight-style lampthat has a long skinny neck and a reflector head. The head sat just at the bottom of the "V" on the base and did not put any light out through the holes in the base. It looks like this bulb was too hot and cooked some of the goo in the century base since there is a blackened plug that floats to the top of the globe and says there when the lamp warms up.

Help!

Views: 236

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like thay are not getting hot enough.

Roger
It is odd, last night both lamps behaved themselves and worked properly, but the Century took MUCH longer to get going than the Aristocrat. I think the difference in base shape and proximity to the lightbulb make a difference.

Thanks!
Both bulbs are clear. I see that the Century lamp puts the bulb much farther away from the globe than the Aristocrat lamp. I think that is the difference. The wax in the Century is also a darker color red and moves much more slowly than the Aristocrat.
Yep, I am missing the heat ring. Dang. I guess I will run the century globe on my spare Aristocrat base.

Thanks for solving the mystery!
I did not know you needed the heat ring.

Roger
This is very odd. Tonight, I ran the Century globe on my spare Aristocrat base and it worked fine for several hours, but then it would turn into a lump on the bottom side of the globe and not move. I would remove the globe from the base and slowly spin it until the lava settled down and covered the heat coil again, and then put it back on the base. It would work for awhile, but then turn into a lump on the side again.

I switched the Century globe to the Century base (missing the heat relector) and then the lava worked properly.

Meanwhile, my working Aristocrat works great. Was there a different formula for lava used in different lamps? I ask because the Century globe has a diffeent model number (100 as opposed to 1120 for the Aristocrat) and when I use the Century globe on the Aristocrat base the lava acts lke it is getting too hot.
Well yes I do think the formula is different. Can someone else help with this.

Roger

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service