Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Late model (wood top) Regency for sale. Looks like a nice one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330...

Views: 234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looks like a nice lamp. Does the Regency have a bigger globe than a Consort, or are they the same size? The only picture of one I've seen was on the Lava World website.

They are substantially larger.
Note, as the catalog below shows, that the earliest Regency lamps had a standard Consort pedestal and a stepped metal cap.
Would the lava lamp on ebay be a regency if it is only 19 inches tall and the standard regency is 21 1/2"?
Agreed. It appears like there have been more vintage lamps on ebay in the past few weeks than I can remember in recent memory. Celebrate Spring!
Yes. The later Regencies were shorter by a small amount, as they have the shorter cap. The cap on the lamp on eBay, the later style, is real wood.
Well done. That's a fair price for a late model Regency. $200 seems to be the going rate.

Bohdan, are you the winner? You're building up a nice vintage collection!

These lamps use a 30 watt bulb. A suggestion: I've found that Regency's tend to run a bit hot. You may want to try a 25 watt bulb if you find the lava starts to "cook" a bit.
They're almost silver, kind of like an early Century.

Try a clearcoat.

I see that yours has the straight pole. Notice how one of mine has an hourglass shaped pole, with a slightly larger wooden base. They both came from the same seller, so I'm guessing that both types were marketed at the same time.

Try and use as much of the old power cord as you can in order to maintain the originality of the lamp. Sometimes if you just snip off some of the cord that was in the cup (the cord in the cup tends to get hot and brittle) strip the insulation back and solder the wire tips, you can re-use the rest of the cord.

One of my lamps had a leak, and the cap is swelled up and oval shaped. I'm going to get one of the carpentry instructors on campus to turn it down in a lathe until it's round again.

Keep up the good work!

Craig
Attachments:
I have two consorts that are the same way, kind of. One of them has the hourglass stem, and the other one is straight. And also the wood bases are different. One is lighter and one is darker, just like your regency. So each lamp kind of has it's own personality, i guess.
Well Done!
WOW, that is impressive! Beautiful and original vintage restoration! That is the way....
THANKS guys. This was really fun and a knowledgeable learning experience for me!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service