Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Hi All, I just joined and bought my first lava lamp few days ago. Its a 17.5" Red Dragon, Mystic Lava Lamp, Red liquid with orange? wax. It has a 40 watt non frosted bulb, size of approx..regular wine bottle, maybe a bit smaller, ozs?. When I first heated it up it worked fine, but then I wonder if it got too hot cause at around 4-5 hrs a small clump of wax settled at the top and a large clump settled at the bottom. When it cools down, a smaller clump of wax stays at the very top all the way around the edge of the glass/liquid and a large clump of wax settles to the bottom. Even when I heat it up there always seems to be some clump at the top, like it nevers completely goes down. Once I tried turning it on and off several times (when first starting to heat up) to get the bottom wax to connect to top wax and when it finally did I turned it off and the top wax finally removed itself from the top around the edge. Later when I heated it up again, same thing happened, a glob of wax always at the top and when it cools down always a glob of wax at the top. How do I get that glob at the top to reconnnect with the bottom glob, will it ever reconnect? Is my globe getting too hot, if so what should I do? It is broken or is this normal? Sorry so many questions, very new to this but really wanted a lava lamp. cheers Broomie

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bohdan Thanks for your response...I think the lamp is made in China. I tried a 25 Watts instead and that didn't help get the glob from top down but it didn't overheat. Under the base it says Mystic Lava- 1A, Input 120V 40 Watts, Bulb Max: 30 Watts Type BR.....However the bulb it came with says 40Watts , made China...So wondering if bulb too hot. Still got that that glob of wax at the top, touching edge of glass all around, almost like a suckion/sealed, not floating in middle at the top when cold and when hot still up there.... I really like the dragon design so would like to keep it. They have no more left in the store and only exchange, no refunds. I went to the mathmos site but not sure where to get a vase. I'm hesitant about opening cap and mixing 2 globs on stove only cause I'm so new to it all.....So for now will live with it....and going to try a 30 watt bulb....Good news though I went out and bought another lamp, this time a good one, 52 oz lava motion lamp, clear liquid (allitle dye looks like it ran through, more smoky grey color but very clear), black wax, steel frame...Started it up and no glob at the top when turned off...what a difference in movement, etc....luvs it and now I want more...:) .thanks for advice and feel free to send more...cheers Broomie
clarify....meant to say glob floats at the top, completely seals top, right around edge of glass when cold, like a big droplet and when hot still up there going .... always right to glass edge all around....so when hot other globs float up and hit off it.....
Ok I will do that...I'll post a pic of my two new ones plus a lady called me today she has 1 to sell me...not sure if it is a motion lamp, black body, red wax, clear ?liquid, ~16" for $10, which makes 3 ...only been a week...I'm hooked! :) As for the bad mix (Dragon lamp) yes sounds like a good idea to wait and see if I can get another vase.....still very new but anxious to learn...thanks....:) so glad I found this place!!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service