Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I have been wanting to learn how to make a lamp out of an Absolut bottle (or any other cool bottle for that matter). What is the best way to get started? Is this very complicated?

Views: 1579

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not to be silly.....(I am a blonde...bear with me) why can't you use black? I'm assuming that the base from the original lamp that you poured out will fit the 1ltr. bottle? And also, how many lamps did it take to fill the monster Absolut bottle in the background of the 42 below picture?!?!!!
Bohdan, I don't know who you are but I think you are the lava lamp God....I bow to you! Is it my imagination or do you have every lava lamp ever made in triplicate? You have the best information, thanks for coming through again for me!
I will send you a picture of my first masterpiece!! First I have to drink the Absolut......1 liter is alot, better get started now!! *hic*
It may be of interest to follow this seller's sales on the off chance anyone might be interested in making and selling lamps.
This guy is making Absolute lava's with color choices for buyer in 2 sizes. I've written for his prices and whether he has other vessels but haven't heard back yet.
http://cgi.ebay.com/LAVA-LAMP-ABSOLUT_W0QQitemZ150278161175QQihZ005...

Bodhan,
If/when you decide to sell custom lavas let me know. I want a head with pretty day light sky blue fluid and pearly white lava. The brain visual is clouds floating in the sky in the head! Ha!
I'd love to be your first customer and understand making my headlampdesires would not be cheap.
K
If I can find a head I would love to try to make one also. (Such a fantastic idea!!) Pier1 is out of them until Christmas or so. (Lookit me--a newbie and I want to try to make a head---aim high!!!) How do you seal the botom of the thing anyway? Would it fit on an conventional 52oz base?
You know Bohdan, if you started making and selling your creations you could pay someone to do your yard work for you!!! Just an idea.......lol!!
Well, today I went by a Pier1, so I went in and there were heads!! So I got one. Now let's see if I can mess this up? When you say make a custom base do you mean to cut one from glass? How thick should it be? Also what brand of glue do you use for sealing the custom base to the head? The base that holds the light fixture appears from your picture, to be a custom design also, correct? I still can't get over what a great idea you had, Bohdan!!! I guess when you have a collection as large as yours you see everything as a potential lava lamp, right?
--Bert
PS I am assuming that the head will hold the contents of 2 med. size lamps right?
Alert! Alert!! Newbie in the house!!!! Well, I tried my first refill. I used a Smirnoff bottle and a lamp that came from a garage sale. The bottle didn't have the fluid measurement on it, and the lamp was a generic and an odd size, so I just HOPED that the two would be approximately the same size. Well, long story short, they were close but not exact. Is there anything that I can add to the Smirnoff bottle to bring it up to the proper level? Bohdan!!! Where are you, my lava lamp king? Please help your loyal subject!!
I have no idea what the "donor" lamp was. It was not Lava brand. It says "Pliable Motion Lamp" on the light base and says "Do not open Do not drink" on the cap that I opened (but did not drink). I have some more lamps by the same manufacturer, can I add water from them? Or should I add more lava?
Thanks for answering my silly questions!

Does it need to be fluid out of another lamp? Or will distilled water work? (These may be silly questions--if so, please bear with me!)
I think that it is a tad low, you can see that even when it is hot.
I had the same problem.....did you ever figure out what to add? Pretty lamp, though :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service