Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I got this 1974 Century a few days ago. Lava is really mottled looking. When it flows, it usually has a big chunk at the top, or the longer if flows, big blobs hang out towards the bottom. It moves...but oddly. The lava looks really hole-y and spackled. And, after 6-7 hours running, I ended up with this today:

It just hovered there.

Any thoughts? I know the lamp is old, but is there something else going on here? I'm using a 40W bulb.

I did notice my clear/yellow 52 oz. globe (next to this lamp in the pic) does some weird stuff after several hours, too. Do these lamps just flow differently than 32 oz-ers?

Thanks in advance for any help you might have to offer. Also, if anyone knows what color combo this was supposed to be, let me know! Right now it's light blue with light minty-green lava. An original blue/green?

Views: 571

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dr is correct the older Centurys did not have a ring in them. The lamp just looks like it needs to be run, if you give it a few weeks of 8 hour runs the wax should smooth out. It looks like it was not ran for a long time and needs some hours of run time on it. I have a few lamps that are top flow, they collect at the top like your picture and drop the lava down..different and interesting.

LampHead
Thanks so much for the tip. I appreciate everyone's help! I was so excited to receive this lamp as it was my first "older than me" lamp. :)

It looks like the wax is full of air bubbles. I hope it does even out.

It's not horrible how the wax flows...I guess each lamp is different. :)
I finally got the cap off this evening, but not without taking a chunk out of it. :( A pea-sized piece broke off, but luckily, it fits right back in and with a little super glue for security, you can barely notice the crack.

I'm letting it cool overnight and tomorrow I'm going to try the boil method.

I did stick a skewer in there to break a bubble or two and the wax gave no resistance. It felt so light!

I'll post back after the boil. Thanks everyone for the tips!
Cap is off. Liquid poured out. Lava "boiled". We'll see how it flows this evening!

Can I top off with a little distilled water or would that ruin things?
It would be about 1/4 cup.
Well, the lamp has all kinds of air bubbles again. They must be happening because of the wax, or the heat. Lamp is nice and clear, but bubbles in the wax galore. Le sigh. I think this lamp is just going to have to be loved for the way it is.
I'd be too afraid to do that, but thanks for the tip. :)
I prefer to keep all my lamps original unless they are totally hosed. This one is in OK shape, so I won't touch it. I don't plan on reselling any of these lamps, but I'd like to keep them all original.

Thanks for the tip though! :)
LOL Double rainbow indeed! :D

It doesn't seem to flow any better. It starts out with no bubbles, then tons of air bubbles form once it gets going.

I will try replacing the spring next. Thanks for the tip.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service