Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Just figured out (photo made it clear) it's an H5224 (blue with originally yellow lava) and have been reading other posts here about that model. It's a chinese lamp so not worth much. Plus the lava has been cooked to brown. See pics attached.

I've been heating it on a base for about 3 hours now and the flow is so-so.

I thought it was worth more and perhaps fix it up somehow, and put it on ebay, or enjoy it myself as a spare.

Can the yellow in the wax be restored and is it a production? (I read about getting a better coil to make the flow better).

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Views: 542

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm certainly no pro, and still a bit flighty to attempt a regoo, but that might be something to experiment on as far as regooing it goes........There is sooo much on this site as to how to do it and where to get the kit, i'm seriously considering attempting it on one of my 52 oz globes that I fried the lava on myself.  It gets cloudier and cloudier by the day so there is no hope of it ever returning to normal.  It's either a regoo or a glitter. Speaking of glitter, did you see kirk's glitter lamps?  They are absolutely stunning and he will fill an empty globe with the color of your choice. 

Greetings Carol.  Yes it would be interesting, though intimidating, to attempt a re-goo.  My first concern, if everything were to go well,  is getting the bottle cap back on securely so it doesn't leak.  I also read in a few places that the poopy brown lava can go back to normal ??? if you heat and cool repeatedly the globe.  Can someone confirm or dispel that?

Yes there is a lot of mad scientist advice on here to refurbish globes.  I think cloudiness can be corrected (lots of methods it seems, can be confusing) but again, in my mind is the question of getting the cap back on securely.

I will definitely check out that glitter thing from Kirk rather than a risky do-it-myself.  Thank you.

Nice chatting, take care 

Paula, from my understanding with the china globes your chances of clearing a cloudy or hazy globe are pretty slim. They told me that on here and i called LL and they told me to "burst" it. Meaning running it 8 hours on 8 hours off.
Sorry didnt finish. Im typing this on my iphone, lol! I fried my son's neon green lava by overheating the lamp and it is now brown. I seriously doubt that you can bring back dead or fried lava by bursting it especially in a china lamp. My one vintage usa lamp came a but hazed from shipping and that is clearing up nicely. For what you paid i would chalk it up as a fixer upper imo. Guys???
Oh PS my china globes never cleared. I even put them in the frig!!! I tried everything. They actually get worse the more i run them.

Well for this globe that I just acquired, the only problem that I can see right now is the brown lava.  I'll have to examine the liquidt more closely.

Now are you saying you have both problems on your (made in china) globe -- the cloudy liquid and brown lava?  Have you tried "bursting" it yet?

Lol read above Paula. Ill take a pic when i get home and fire it up. It's god awful, lol!!

Yep, fixer upper ... I've been meaning to dabble anyway so this is my opportunity.   I think it's a 52 oz. too, nice size.  I'm even thinking of getting creative  and fashioning one-of-a-kind cap and do something with the spare base.  Maybe use Super Sculpey which is a bake-in-the-oven polymer clay.

Well I'll look forward to seeing the new life you give your globe. :)  I don't know about glitter ... it doesn't flow like lava .. not as mesmerizing.

Ok will look for your sad :( lava light pic. 

Aaaah but have you watched kirk's video of his glitter?

OK Paula, just got home and here are the pics....keep in mind these are both the SAME EXACT lamp.  52 oz Clear liquid/Neon Green lava purchased at Spencer's.  I wanted my son to have a "night light," so he would fall asleep and never shut his lamp off.  I felt bad, so I replaced it with a brand new one and now only run it max 8 hours.  LL said the 52's can go 10, but I don't push it.  My clear liquid/neon purple same thing except my lava stayed pretty much purple.  His is awful.  I didn't run them for the pics but you can plainly see from the lava sitting in the bottom that the one is definitely fried.  It is also translucent when it gets cooking.  I now know there is no hope for this lamp. 

This is what the same lamp should look like....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service