Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I decided to test and see if a new coil in my China clear/white 52oz would fix it's issues. What do you know, it does! I thought I would share the spring type I used and some photos in case anyone out there wants to give it a go. Well worth it. My lamp actually flows now. Before, it would not attach to the spring and it would just blob up at the bottom and stay there. Even after cleaning the cheap coil inside.

Now, it's what a lava lamp should be! :D Thanks to all here for the wealth of information and knowledge. Without it, this would not have happened.

Package Info - Springs purchased at Lowe's

Old coil on the left, new coil on the right. Penny is to show size.

Great new flow!

Views: 6553

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yup.

I see sarcasm is lost on the ignorant.... Lava World will NOT provide you with any answers... they won't even acknowledge that you contacted them! Crazy... Yep, doesn't mean I'm not protective of these folks. And Kris, I'm thinking the SAME - You sound like the idiot that was wanting to write the "book" about lava's a few weeks back. Doesn't matter, what goes around comes around. I hope your ready when it happens :) Signed up 3 days after...
Just saying...

Lol, Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver. Haha! I love it! Yeah, lava world or whatever their name is now, doesn't give two rips. They don't respond to emails or calls or anything. For all practical purposes, they are now a joke.
You truly are an idiot. Lol. For all your whining and complaining you try to insult us and only succeed in making yourself look like a fool. This all coming from someone complaining about a cheap lava lamp not working and yet is now going to go buy a Mathmos. Something you should have done from the start.

Lol. Pure stupidity. Thankfully you are over there and we are over here and it won't infect us :D - good day chap!
Ummm... I'm not sure you know what that means.... http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Excelsior

Wood shavings have EVERYTHING to do with replacing your coil.

The springs I have used are at least twice as thick as what lava world and mathmos use. So, I don't think you need three. If you do more, you are transfering heat quicker and it would age the lamp much faster than it should be.
Anyhoo, I'm trying my best to get the right springs. I've e-mailed 2 companies so hopefully I'll have some luck. Got mu violet/orange Mathmos globe the other day. I have yet to run it. I love this colour combo. I had it when I was younger, Anyone else have it?
I have the USA Violet/Yellow, it was my first lamp... GORGEOUS! I can onlt imagine how beautiful the Mathmos version would be! Their colors are soooo vivid!
Tip on finding a spring- Auto parts stores... maybe even eBay, as Reciprocity had mentioned.
I managed to take a coil out of an old Mathmos lamp and put it in my new yellow/red China lamp..and it's perfect now! It actually works. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. There was actually NO coil in the lamp at all. Weird. Also, had a look under the new Mathmos globe I got..and there's 2 coils in it. One big one and one small one.
So how exactly did you go about stretching out the extension spring? I was looking at one at the hardware store and tried to stretch it by hand but it wasn't having any of that. Also the only ones they had were black, I'm wondering if whatever coating they had on there would be bad for the lamp or if it would come off and mess up the goo.
Grab each end and start pulling slowly. Rest and repeat. Takes a couple of minutes but it works fine.
Cool thanks!

I'll have to see if i can find some non-coated ones. Home Depot didn't have any and i found the black ones at Rona. I'll have to give Home Hardware and Canadian Tire a shot.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service