Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Converting a 120w 60hz Fantasia Lamp for use in the UK

My Fantasia fibre optic lamp just arrived from the US and now I'm faced with the problem of converting it for use in the UK. Anybody have any experience of doing this?? I see you can buy converters to go from 120v - 240v - do they work? Thanks for any help/advice.

Views: 171

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You most likely will need to purchase one of these, I do not have much knowledge or experience with this but I am thinking one of these would work for you.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SC5328.html?source=shopping.com

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SC5474.html?source=shopping.com

Good Luck !

Hi Liam,  I use one of these for my Centurion Fantasia, and have another one for more Fantasia lamps.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/tacima-500watt-transformer-/181107593029?pt

I am waiting for an Omni to arrive from the US but it does not have a spray so I am on the look out for one.

What Fantasia lamp have you got?

You can normally pick them up cheaper than this one is selling for, but will be a used one.

@ Bill, sit tight, I am currently working with a glass fiber optics company and will be producing replacement fiber optic sprays in all fiber widths, lengths and styles for all vintage Fantasia, Cuda & Crestworth brands. I will keep everyone posted but I should have them available by this summer. (2013)

Hi jmpenny32, thanks for the information regarding the glass fibre sprays will wait to hear from you. I have two Crestworth Galaxies as well. I would like a Sunburst one day.

I get Sunburst lamps from time to time, however I am a lighting designer and I plan to produce high quality fiber optic lighting. As soon as things get situated with the sprays I will be working a bit more with fabricators etc getting prototypes and test lamps produced. I dont know if you have seen the Cosmos 2 that I just finished up, that is a small taste as to whats comming, I will be focusing on large scale models as the interest in the smaller models do not generally do so well. I am always open to feedback and suggestions!

Thanks very much jmpenny32 and Bill Smith.

I went out and bought a trasformer today. It's for a Fantasia Sunburst 4000. I have got it up and running this evening and boy is it a beauty - really mesmerising!! Any tips on running it? Should I leave the glass spray permanently on or is it better to remove it each time after use to as to help keep the form of the spray?? I love this lamp!

you could remove them after each use but it is not recommended. glass fibers are delicate, and become more brittle over time, the more you handle them the more you risk fibers breaking off. If dust should collect on them over time there is a way to clean the fibers. even this method does not need to be done that frequently, you will know if the fibers are dirty they will look brown and not white, when they get dirty the light is not carried through as good and not as vibrant.

Hi Liam, which transformer did you end up buying? Just paid my Customs charge £21.24 plus delivery charge £12 rip off so it will be delivered on this Saturday. Will try my Centurion spray in it that's if it fits, or will have to wait until jmpenny starts selling them. Did you find your Sunburst by using the ebay US link on the top of the oozing goo page? Is it the chrome or black version.

Hi jmpenny, I have seen your Cosmos 2 and what a wonderful lamp it is. I look forward to your new lamps that you may be designing just hope they are in my price range. The biggest bug bear is the shipping and custom charges I have to pay to get these lamps. Will you be making the sprays for the Sunburst lamp as well just in case I see one going cheap without the spray?

most definetly..Sunburst sprays will most likely the first sprays that I roll out. my lamps will be of high quality, i anticipate they will be expensive. I hope to stay resonable with my pricing.
Bill,
re: transformer, I went to Maplin and gave them the specs and just asked what they recommended. The one I bought was only about £15 but it seems to be working fine. The sunburst is a black one. I posted a video if you want to check it out.
Attached is a photo of the transformer they recommended in Maplin.
Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service