Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

scored this purple/pink premier for 5 frickin' dollars on ebay! $7.55 for shipping so $12.55 overall! super excited! i haven't had one of these before, what can you guys tell me about it? what are some things i can expect or need to look out for? i've been digging on google images trying to find a picture of one of these lit up, but can't seem to. what color should i expect when lit? i'm figuring the whole thing just goes pink, which i wouldn't mind, but i'm hoping it's not dark like the blue liquid/purple wax ones. i bought one of those from target and HATED it. i like a bright lamp. super excited about this one tho! lady must not have known what she could charge for it. also, it looks pretty good! i looked over the pictures thoroughly before buying and even the base looks new. seems to have been well taken care of!  

Views: 815

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Carol said:

Kaity, here is MY gookit version of the black/orange 52 oz.  Sadly, shortly after making this, the globe cracked and as of yet I haven't found a decent globe worthy of such a dark lamp.  I need one that doesn't have any smudges or tons of stars!!!  So for now, I put some JB Waterweld on it to hold the fluids in and it is sitting in a pot on my washing machine.

carol your goo kit in orange and black looks so much better than LLs! I love that. oh BTW I got the lamp today and its CLOUDY AS HELL. I am so disappointed. It also leaked into the box because it shipped completely on its side. It is so cloudy that I cannot really see the globs while its running. The wax looked so messed up when it arrived and the coil was sitting up right in a wiggly mess because it got heated during shipping. And the bulb provided was blown! Had to go to Walmart and fetch bulbs, and then I just slapped it on the base and assumed the coil and wax would work itself out which it did, but its so cloudy that you can barely see anything. SO disappointed. lady refunded my money and just told me to keep it. I'm gonna try the whole running it for a while and shutting it off and running to see if I can get it to clear any which I'm hoping it will but not counting on it. Hubby says if it doesn't clear I can get my first goo kit and redo it!!!
this China globe is really good tho, hardly ANY stars! if I do end up goo kitting at least its a swell globe!

Oh Kaity, you will luv to goo kit!!!  Globe imperfections aside, they are CRYSTAL CLEAR!!!  You could read a fine print book through them, lol!!!  And the flow beats any present day china lamp by far.  I won't say the kit's beat vintage flow though as I am a big fan of the vintage flow.  But if you can't have that, my next fav is the kits.  I just figured out that too much of the soapy stuff called surf that you add can make them cloud though and cause a film on the inside of the glass.  Now since switching out the distilled water with less surf my globes are staying crystal clear.

I really HATE that we have to have our lava shipped.  I haven't had much luck with shipped lava.  My blue swirl and enchantress both came cloudy, but being vintage they cleared up within a few weeks.  My snakeskin that I just got is slowly clearing up some, but i'm starting to think there may be a film on the inside of the globe.  If it doesn't clear within a few weeks I may try to pop the top and swipe the inside of the globe with my homemade cleaning tool.  I'm sorry for your disappointment Kaity....it always sucks when you anticipate a new lamp and it comes in a messed up state, but look at the bright side.....you CAN make any COLOR you want!!!!  You can do your white goo/purple liquid.  That one is easy because you don't have to add dye to the wax!!!

Thank you for the nice comment on my kit!!  I may dump this china crap and transplant my kit into the globe.  Although the globe is crap, once I clean it out I will at least get those smudges out.  I do a vinegar soak, then clean with dawn.

If you use oozinggoo at checkout Magma Tower is giving 10 percent off all orders until the end of sept.

if I were you I'd def dump the LL contents and goo it! your kit looks ten times better and definitely made me appreciate the color combo more! and yeah I've wanted to goo kit for a while although I do hope the lamp clears itself but it may not. I'm not even gonna bother with the Epsom salts and dish soap and all that so next go to would be kit. I've got an empty hot rock tube and base sitting around as well so I'd also goo that and get two lamps out of it (:! and thanks for the promo code!!!!
and yes you're so right! I was so disappointed at first but then I was like :o goo kit! and I was just about to say the same thing, if I kit I'm definitely going purple/white!!!!!

If you get a large kit you can do more then 2 lamps!!!  I think with a small kit I did 2 52's and a 20 oz.  And that was only a small kit.  Plus you have xtra goo in case something goes wrong.  I am going to dump my china contents in my black/orange  Kaity on my next day off.  Hopefully it will be cooler then.  The boil down part makes my kitchen super hot!!!  In the winter I have to open a window when I take down a globe.  That's the part I hate, lol!!  I don't have a lot of patience.  Well, maybe I do because I have done quite a few kits, lol!!  My neon green is going now.  I'll get some pics. 

a small kit would suffice for me!! I've only got this 52 and then the hot rock globe is equivalent to a 20oz LL I believe. its nice that they give you enough to do multiple! I'm excited now so I think I may order tonight :ooo What's the shipping wait time on the goo kits??? and what all color dye packs have you tried? I'm gonna have to think long and hard about my colors... idk what I want yet!!! would love to see pics of a neon green as that may be a color I decide on!

Well, honestly, they aren't the quickest to ship.  They supposed have a whole new crew there and are trying to make it better.  I would place your order, but follow up with a phone call to see how long it is going to take.  I did that once and I did get it a little quicker, but normally it takes about 2 weeks.  Also, I noticed that when thing come from California, they seem to take forever. 

The kit comes with blue, green and orange.  It used to come with red but they stopped including that.  You can add any dye pack that you want.  They aren't very expensive.  I've done violet (had to buy that dye separate), red, (also a separate dye pack), Neon green, I did an orange, but darkened it to red.  blue, pink.  I've pretty much tried them all. 

To do my pink, I used a blend of violet and red.  To do my neon green I used a blend of yellow and green .....

Kaity, if you go to my profile pics but go into my albums, all of my goo kit colors are in there....you can also join the goo kit group and look at some of those pics to get an idea of what color and/or colors you may like.  Lamphead has a kit in just about every color goo with every color liquid.  I looked at a lot of his pics b4 deciding, then just went nuts with it, lol!!!  I started doing custom blends after I had all the standard colors, then even started to mess with saturations with the dyes.  Like adding a tiny bit of red gets you a pastel pink.....I have fun with it, I really do!!

sounds so fun!!! really excited! have you ordered and used any goo kits lately? how's the quality been? I'd hate to get a bad batch ):

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service