Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

So, I followed Claude's instructions for recapping my grande with the 2 part epoxy. I keep thinking to myself that in my small place, with animals included I can't afford for this lamp to blow it's top after hours of use. I would probably ruin my living room for good and possibly hurt my little fury friend.

So, I went a step further. I think the photos are pretty clear in what I did.

I simply used stainless steel strapping bought from lowes along with a hose clamp to create a second layer of protection.

I simply created a plus sign with the strapping, bent it over the cap, used a good thick hose clamp to hold in place (the hose clamps tightens smaller than the width of the widest part of the neck, and then bent the strapping back over the hose clamp Kinda similar to a wire champaign cork holder if that makes sense. After bending the strap back over, I lightly tapped with the back of the screw driver the bends to flatten them out again's the strapping.

After all was done I backed off the screw a bit so that the hose clamp was not crazy tight, just snug  to stay less diameter than the widest part of the neck. This should allow the glass neck to expand while it gets hot.

The reason why I am so worried about recapping grandes is the fact that they build alot of pressure, thus possible creating a hazard once they get ultra hot.

When it was not capped and ran for a few days I had no worried other than loosing some water. Now I am worried about having a possible volcano in my place.

Oh yes, with this setup the decorative cap does not fit back over, however, I believe with a little trimming of the strap tails, it would fit.

Thoughts / comments?

Views: 671

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd rather have a cap pop off than a globe explode

Well a cap popping off does not concern me, blowing it's cap and shooting wax and hot water up to the ceiling that is something different. Don't know if that can even happen or not but I thought someone had photos of that on this board somewhere.


Also if a cap popping off is not big deal, then when epoxy it, why not just crimp cap back on and if it needs to let loose at least the cap acts as a safety pressure release instead of globe exploding.

You wont blow the top if you put the top on when its Hot not cold.. that way when it cools down it will suck the top in.. make sense ? And relief that sucktion when it gets hot again and there wont be pressure as you put it on when HOT.

I work on cars namely my 3 Jeeps, and i use used RTV silicone to seal my caps. on the two lamp i fixed.

Water and wax wont shoot to the ceiling either, the top would simply pop off and move about 3mm in the air and fall to the ground.. And the lamp would keep moving..  For it to blow out with liquid everywhere it would need massive amounts of pressure and to be boiling.  Think car radiator..

100-130f is hardly boiling

Jon, the grande in the original photos has since been simply epoxied and has been fine since.

I am pretty sure I recall someone on this forum posting photos of a grande that literally went off like a volcano and hit the ceiling with wax and fluid.

BTY, I have thick heat shrink on order for sealing down caps on grandes and colossus

If I'm correct there's a Seller here who has these great yellow plastic toppers that you can use to replace the original rubber stoppers before gluing shut. Also explained how to epoxy lids back on.  I first epoxied the perfect yellow topper to seal the lamp and allowed it  to dry being super careful not to get any glue into the globe.  Just the rim of the globe.  I then epoxied the original lid over this and used a clamp ring to hold in place tight while the glue dried at least 24hrs.  Once glue has set I remove the clamp ring and bam.  It not only works it works better than the original stopper which can leach white powder into your lamp over time.  One other major important item..does not leak a bid when shipped.  When I decided to change out liquid after I glued the top on it came off fairly quickly as did the stopper using a thin screwdriver and a gently nudge. I've used it to seal 14 lamps thus far with 100% success.

Yes, those are actually expansion inserts for glitter and work just as well for lava. Contact Kirk Olsen for supplies.

He also has the glue instructions but I will.post here.Refilling%20and%20Sealing%20Grande.pdf

Oh crappola, I can't believe I forgot kirk has those, I will contact him when I need some.

There is no way for that to happen physically..  The person boiled the lamp and made a mockery of everyone if that was the case.  130f wont blow liquid all over the place..  Just impossible

kero48 said:

Jon, the grande in the original photos has since been simply epoxied and has been fine since.

I am pretty sure I recall someone on this forum posting photos of a grande that literally went off like a volcano and hit the ceiling with wax and fluid.

Yes - his name is Kirk and he sells glitter and liquid. I want to buy some more. I'm wondering where he's getting them from. They insert into the grande globe just like the original grande stopper only their made of this really sturdy yellow plastic and again they don't leave residue as the lamp ages. You can use them for both glitter and lava like a dream. I'm surprised he's not selling them as a separate item for those of us who are working our own magic. I'd highly recommend for anyone whose revamping a grande or giant.


Again, I prove you wrong.

A grande can explode (As well as a colossus)

Kero48 was referring to the tragic event that occurred when a HEATING element (Not a light bulb) was too close to the bottom of the globe 


Jon said:

There is no way for that to happen physically..  The person boiled the lamp and made a mockery of everyone if that was the case.  130f wont blow liquid all over the place..  Just impossible

kero48 said:

Jon, the grande in the original photos has since been simply epoxied and has been fine since.

I am pretty sure I recall someone on this forum posting photos of a grande that literally went off like a volcano and hit the ceiling with wax and fluid.

I agree they work much better than that silly rubber factory insert that deteriorates 

The Lamp Caretaker said:

Yes - his name is Kirk and he sells glitter and liquid. I want to buy some more. I'm wondering where he's getting them from. They insert into the grande globe just like the original grande stopper only their made of this really sturdy yellow plastic and again they don't leave residue as the lamp ages. You can use them for both glitter and lava like a dream. I'm surprised he's not selling them as a separate item for those of us who are working our own magic. I'd highly recommend for anyone whose revamping a grande or giant.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Mark Goo created this Ning Network.

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2021   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service