Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Lava Lite's New Website & The NEW Heritage Collection

http://www.lavalamp.com/

The new Heritage Collection will be available to buy 10/28

**Updated the Heritage Collection will be released today on LavaLite Website at 10am CST. Heres a sneak peak!

*** http://lavalamp.com/heritage-collection ***

Views: 43103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thanks for the report, libby.  after 4 cycles, my centuries show no signs of improvement.  most of the wax stays at the top of the globes.  i think we've all done more than enough to try to get these lamps to work.  i went ahead and contacted LL regarding replacement and hope to hear back soon.  

Jim, I think I have a question that might help us without requiring you to give details.

Would you say at least some of the prototypes you saw, if released to the market, would interest and excite a fairly large number of OGers? That is, not just "same lamp, new skin on the base" or "same lamp, new resin molded base"?

here is some info. from LL regarding the problems we're having:

Try running the lamps for a week and control the flow with dimmer switch.
We have randomly pulled product and to date I have had good flow.
We have had some wax sticking which will happen in shipping and it takes a few days to melt off.

Meh, sounds like a ton of crap.. There's no way were ALL having problems and they randomly testing have had none. It's not only the sticking but the no heat on these bases, even for a week it will never melt on 40w with these bases. They must've done something wrong in the base design idk but it won't even flow unless it's a 60w, and then it just overheats. Impossible to find a sweet spot. My century is going back, I'm done. I've had WAY better experiences with the 20$ lamps.. Like how can it take a week to flow, or melt the wax? That's just ridiculous this is a 52oz globe not a giant or colossus!!
I was hoping for a good lamp, but for 50$ this isn't even worth in parts. The globe is crap, the base doesn't heat up, the only thing it has going for it is the pretty base and cool dimmer, which are both useless since it "doesn't heat up" I'm gonna call for a full refund and THEY have to pay to ship it back, I'm not gonna take a loss for a shabby product, too bad they didn't do whatever they did for the grandes on these lamps. They're just gonna burn as a company if they keep investing in products and new lines and have then made like SHIT in china and piss their profits away. Honestly I won't be surprised if we ALL end up returning these centuries and then LL will be buried in losses. Too bad, but I'd rather buy 2 neons than one century, at least those flow. Mines going back and I want a refund, I'm done tinkering with a 50$ lamp when the neons flow out of the box...
/rant off

I tried to reply but my computer didnt let me haha.

I found a picture of one, thanks a bunch! My century does not have a heat ring. It flows much better than any of my other lamps though, like there is no issue with flow ever. It does overheat if I leave it on for too long but that is it. It hardly gets hot either, just really warm. Its interesting to know about the heat rings, even though mine does not have one!

Marley's Ghost said:

They are removable, Ian.  Just a rather wide ring that just sits down inside the top of the base and the globe sits on it.  There is one in my midnight Century.   If someone don't beat me to it, I'll take a picture for you tomorrow.  I'm in the dark and can't turn on the lights.  Hubby's asleep.

There might be one in the Lava Library.  Do a search on "heat ring" and see.   If not, we'll get you a pic.

Ian said:

Ok can someone post a picture of what the heat ring looks like in the older centuries, like maybe a few different angles? I have no idea what it looks like and I can't tell if my 1980s century has one or not. Are they removable? I'm confused haha.

No worries, Ian, although I did wonder what that "blank" reply was.  LOL    I'm not an authority, but your older Midnight Century more than likely came with a heat ring.   The reason they are usually gone is the fact that they are removeable and are usually not even needed, so get lost in the shuffle.    I don't run mine with the heat ring in it, but when I put it up in my "stash," I do put it back in the base so as not to lose it.    Glad you found a picture, and you are most welcome!

Ditto there, Brad.   I've thrown in the towel too.   I have it running "somewhat" on my old Midnight Century base, but even dimmed, part of that wax still stays in the top on a 60w bulb, but is melted at least.  We are defeating the purpose of buying a Heritage series Century by having to run these on alternate bases and still not getting good flow.   

Brad said:

thanks for the report, libby.  after 4 cycles, my centuries show no signs of improvement.  most of the wax stays at the top of the globes.  i think we've all done more than enough to try to get these lamps to work.  i went ahead and contacted LL regarding replacement and hope to hear back soon.  

This advice seems appropriate to me as well.  Let the wax fully break in as I sense that changes the overall density of the wax.  It may be hovering near the top as the virgin wax is still coming together and is lighter while doing so.  I'm a business guy, not an engineering/science guy so I may be in left field here.

All I know if that my Grande started out almost the consistency of Goo Kit wax (partially transparent and bubbly). but the wax color quickly got more saturated.

Brad said:

here is some info. from LL regarding the problems we're having:

Try running the lamps for a week and control the flow with dimmer switch.
We have randomly pulled product and to date I have had good flow.
We have had some wax sticking which will happen in shipping and it takes a few days to melt off.

I'm sorry but I didn't pay 50$ for a lamp that flows like crap and needs weeks of break in. They shouldn't be cutting corners and delivering lamps that flow. I don't mind it being translucent and becoming opaque with a few runs but this thing is ridiculous, it's sticking everywhere, the wax comes off the coil, then doesn't flow, if I dim it down it just hardens instead of cooling because it's not even hot anyways, the wax is thick and chunky with white stuff in it. Its going back I'm sorry but they failed on the centuries. You can polish a turd, but guess what, it's still a turd. They're pretty to look at when off but that's about it.

Well, my 2nd Grande (green!) arrived today, along with the yellow/red Century. I'm scared my Century will be doomed, too, but I'll keep everyone posted on both lamps. The green Grande has a lot of wax residue towards the bottom of the globe. I hope that burns off. 

The Century globe almost feels like it's sitting ON the bulb. Anyone else notice this?

Just got off the phone with Miss Susan at LL. Ordered both the Neon Green and Pink Grande lamps. [[excited}}  She mentioned that people were having probs with the flow of the Century and that the reason is because the dimmer needs to be adjusted slowly, in increments. Turning it up or down too quickly will cause it to either cool down too fast and stick or heat too fast. Not saying I agree or disagree. IDK.I have no experience with this new line but do know that method worked like a charm with both of my Colossus. Anyway, just repeating what was said, so don't jump my case ;p  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service