Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Lava Lite's New Website & The NEW Heritage Collection

http://www.lavalamp.com/

The new Heritage Collection will be available to buy 10/28

**Updated the Heritage Collection will be released today on LavaLite Website at 10am CST. Heres a sneak peak!

*** http://lavalamp.com/heritage-collection ***

Views: 41301

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My husband really likes them, Ben. He knew about the Green, but I sort of sprung the Pink on him.  He didn't say a word either. ;-)

I leave them running full blast for 48 hours at a time with no overheating or problem at all.  I hated to turn them off while ago, but thought they should rest.  The slight haze in the Pink cleared up completely too.  Thank Goodness!       

b/w has a 40w R16 bulb.  r/y has the stock 40w appliance bulb from LL.

Nice, Brad.  

So, what's the secret?   Why are yours flowing and others not?  Is it just  a case of running them non-stop until the wax breaks in with room temps in 70s?  Did your lamps exhibit the same early issues - wax sticking on the sides, wax stuck at the top - that others have reported?

The reflector bulb sure does make a difference! Is the blue/white as truly white as it looks in the video? I have 2 blue/whites (one new, one old china lamp) & I've tried to get the white wax to look white with no luck. I can say the Reveal bulbs (blue hue) don't help.
You mean Brad, not Ben! Lol

Critter said:
Ben,

You managed to at least get China flow out of your B/W Century! That is more than most have done. The color is really nice though!
Anyone have a lot of wax sticking? More than just a spot or two? My neon grande has a spot about 2"x3" on the widest part of the globe. I've run it non-stop today in hopes it will clear up but it hasn't. At least the wax is not rising up the side like it was yesterday but nonetheless it's a rather large spot of wax and its in a bad spot to get "scraped" off by rising blobs. Is there anything I can do to clean it off? Can I heat that section of the globe externally to soften it? Other than that I'm loving these Grandes!

Marley's Ghost said:

They will burn off the more you run it, Ben.  My Green had one smear that grew to a pea sized blob and then even larger.  I just kept it running and it is now completely gone.   The Pink had a few small streaks of dried wax on the globe when I got it, but they too burned off.  

I'd just keep running it, Ben.  I had a couple of smears on my green neon.  After a week or so of running it, they're gone.  You could also try shooting it with a blow dryer, but I'd just keep running it.   : >)

There is too much of it but i dont think its too heavy. It all stays up top, even on dimmed 40w it never wants to come down. When any blobs come down they immediately get shot back up. Also i refilled mine with straight water and the flow is identical, 80% of the wax is up top and the lamp isnt even past warm in temperature, to me that means too light in comparison to USA wax or even some older china wax that takes about 1/2 cup of salts to flow on water.

Erin said:

See, I don't think the wax is too light in the Century. I think it's too heavy and there's too much of it. 

I'm going to let the thing go all night and see what tomorrow brings. It's moving, but the flow is horrible for the most part. 

in my lamps, the wax stuck at the top but not as badly as some of the others on here.  i ran the lamps for 24+ hours a few times on the 40w appliance bulb with no significant difference in flow.  wax still stayed mostly at the top of the globe, and the flow from the bottom was very slow.

with the R16 bulb, the flow is much quicker and somewhat more interesting, though wax still tends to stay at the top.  it's not stuck, it just stays there until another ball of wax pushes it out of the way or liquid wax from the bottom conjoins with it and brings it down.  it's not overheating though since dimming the bulb causes the wax to start to harden.  it's definitely an issue with the density of the water relative to the wax.

overall, i would say the flow with the R16 bulb is acceptable, but probably not what we all expected.  i would change 2 things if i opened the globe: 1) decrease the density of the liquid to address the wax staying at the top, and 2) add surfactant to decrease the amount of spheres.

Kirk said:

Nice, Brad.  

So, what's the secret?   Why are yours flowing and others not?  Is it just  a case of running them non-stop until the wax breaks in with room temps in 70s?  Did your lamps exhibit the same early issues - wax sticking on the sides, wax stuck at the top - that others have reported?

the blue/white is vibrant in-person, and the color in the video is accurate.  i really like the colors.

Ben said:

The reflector bulb sure does make a difference! Is the blue/white as truly white as it looks in the video? I have 2 blue/whites (one new, one old china lamp) & I've tried to get the white wax to look white with no luck. I can say the Reveal bulbs (blue hue) don't help.

This is exactly how my clear/purple behaved w/ the r16 bulb.  I left it on for about 18 hrs earlier this week on full power, basically to the point of overheating (all wax off the coil in a big ball about half way up the lamp) and then turned it off for 2 days.  Fired it up again tonight and surprisingly enough its flowing a bit better...still a lot at the top but they seem to be coming back down better.  Maybe it just hasn't been on long enough yet for it to congregate at the top.  Or maybe cooking it a bit did something?
 
Brad said:

in my lamps, the wax stuck at the top but not as badly as some of the others on here.  i ran the lamps for 24+ hours a few times on the 40w appliance bulb with no significant difference in flow.  wax still stayed mostly at the top of the globe, and the flow from the bottom was very slow.

with the R16 bulb, the flow is much quicker and somewhat more interesting, though wax still tends to stay at the top.  it's not stuck, it just stays there until another ball of wax pushes it out of the way or liquid wax from the bottom conjoins with it and brings it down.  it's not overheating though since dimming the bulb causes the wax to start to harden.  it's definitely an issue with the density of the water relative to the wax.

overall, i would say the flow with the R16 bulb is acceptable, but probably not what we all expected.  i would change 2 things if i opened the globe: 1) decrease the density of the liquid to address the wax staying at the top, and 2) add surfactant to decrease the amount of spheres.

Kirk said:

Nice, Brad.  

So, what's the secret?   Why are yours flowing and others not?  Is it just  a case of running them non-stop until the wax breaks in with room temps in 70s?  Did your lamps exhibit the same early issues - wax sticking on the sides, wax stuck at the top - that others have reported?

not too sure, jeff.  i would keep running it to see what happens.  what is the temp. in the room?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Mark Goo created this Ning Network.

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2021   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service