Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Lava Lite's New Website & The NEW Heritage Collection

http://www.lavalamp.com/

The new Heritage Collection will be available to buy 10/28

**Updated the Heritage Collection will be released today on LavaLite Website at 10am CST. Heres a sneak peak!

*** http://lavalamp.com/heritage-collection ***

Views: 43086

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

73*F

Brad, at 73 degrees, your version 1 should not be doing that.   Both mine run perfectly at 70 or higher, but if room temp falls below 70, it will do what yours is doing or else freeze in a tall spike.   That's without the socket extenders too, and my bulb is the same height from the globe as yours......way down there.   It looks like you need to contact Susan......arggg.

Did anyone see the thread I posted from another site that mentioned the theory that perhaps the dimmers weren't passing full voltage even when turned as far on as possible?  Then the dimmer failed completely?  Has anyone that has had the warm up time get longer and longer or has had mid flow spiking put a voltmeter on to see what voltage the bulb is getting when at full power?  That could certainly explain the behavior of lamps that flowed good but now suddenly don't with no change in external temp.  If the dimmer is passing less and less voltage as it ages/fails or something. 

BTW my 1.0 pretty much always does the snake to the top where eventually all the wax ends up at the top then it starts  raining down, and that big blob slowly sinks as it loses smaller blobs.  All the while once some wax gets to the bottom again that wax starts shooting up again, as the big blob continues to slowly fall.  Is that not a normal flow pattern? 

good idea.  i'll bust out the voltmeter tonight.

i think so as well but want to be absolutely sure before i contact her since they already sent me 2 replacement centuries.  i guess i feel bad, but i really shouldn't since it's not my problem.  i just want to enjoy my lava lamps dang it!!

Marley's Ghost said:

Brad, at 73 degrees, your version 1 should not be doing that.   Both mine run perfectly at 70 or higher, but if room temp falls below 70, it will do what yours is doing or else freeze in a tall spike.   That's without the socket extenders too, and my bulb is the same height from the globe as yours......way down there.   It looks like you need to contact Susan......arggg.

Yep, Brad, I'd want to cover all my bases too, but I am fed up with being an engineer on these things.  I have a junk Century that Susan told me she'd replace and didn't, just sent that bulb that did no good at all.   

I think we all just want to enjoy our lamps.  Now we are running back and forth with towels or having to buy socket extenders, etc. for the Grandes.   The Heritage Century is hopeless.  It won't even get hot enough to make glitter flow just barely.  I sure hope my Grandes don't start acting up too........fingers crossed.  So sorry your Grande is not working right now. 

Im sure thats normal flow pattern, mine both do it all the time but the 1.0 seems to flow with bigger blobs than the 2.0, both follow the same pattern but id say the 1.0 is a little more random and tends to flow with bigger blobs. Im thinking it could be that one has more use than the other or the single coil/less wax causing it to differ slightly.

Jeff said:

BTW my 1.0 pretty much always does the snake to the top where eventually all the wax ends up at the top then it starts  raining down, and that big blob slowly sinks as it loses smaller blobs.  All the while once some wax gets to the bottom again that wax starts shooting up again, as the big blob continues to slowly fall.  Is that not a normal flow pattern? 

I would just request for a refund for the century Libby. Tell her it costs more to ship back than its worth and you can dispose of it. Its what she told me to do since i didnt want to cover the return shipping on something i felt totally cheated on.. So i emptied it and used the contents for projects, with extensive tweaking of chemicals i got it to improve, but still nowhere near the heritage grande.

Marley's Ghost said:

Yep, Brad, I'd want to cover all my bases too, but I am fed up with being an engineer on these things.  I have a junk Century that Susan told me she'd replace and didn't, just sent that bulb that did no good at all.   

I think we all just want to enjoy our lamps.  Now we are running back and forth with towels or having to buy socket extenders, etc. for the Grandes.   The Heritage Century is hopeless.  It won't even get hot enough to make glitter flow just barely.  I sure hope my Grandes don't start acting up too........fingers crossed.  So sorry your Grande is not working right now. 

ok, jeff nailed it.  with the dimmer on full power, i'm only getting 100v or so.  it should be 120v.

Brad said:

good idea.  i'll bust out the voltmeter tonight.

Interesting..... Whipping out the voltmeter as well lol!

Well, I guess I'll whip out the old voltmeter too and see what mine are getting.  Won't hurt!   Way to go Jeff!   Now you have proof, Brad!  

@Rodrigo, she was supposed to replace my Clearview too, which was actually a "Fogview."   Never got the replacement Century or the new Clearview.   I just hate to call. 

I'm definitely going to have to check mine now too before I fire it up next.  It seems the last few times it took a bit longer than usual, it was 8 hrs warm up the 1st 2 times, then it seemed to settle in at around 6 hrs, but then the last time It took almost 8 again, and I thought it seemed a bit dimmer than usual (that's what made me think of low voltage).  Then I remembered reading that thread where someone suspected that may be an issue and also had a failure from a loose screw on the transistor in the dimmer.  There's went up in smoke.  98v is definitely low...120v is a nominal figure but its usually at least 115 or so.  What do you have coming out of the socket?  Would be interesting to see how many volts are being lost here.

Wonder if this could be contributing to the century issues too...  Although my 2nd globe is running on the same base as the 1st and the flow is much better. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service