Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I didn't see many answers on what will happen when I put glitter and lava together.  Both of these lamps were parts lamps for 5 bucks for both. so I'm ready to find out.  just need to find a container for the cloudy fluid so I can filter it some day.  oh and the orange glitter liquid was clear I just squeezed a orange highlighters ink pad in it.

Views: 228

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

the lava will not sink to the bottom to get hot.  the glitter is moving around as much as it can with a glob of lava in the middle of the globe.  I just now see some of the lava going to the top, thin strands almost. what can be added to make the lava less buoyant?

Perchlorate is what you need, but it may mess up the glitter and fluid.  It will make the wax heavier (or more dense) though.  It can be found in brakekleen, but only the red can.  Not sure where all you can find it but here is a link.  Check posts here for how and how much to use.  One major issue, do not use inside.  Only use outside in a well ventilated area, use a mask to avoid vapors.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/63337

Peter Piper said:

the lava will not sink to the bottom to get hot.  the glitter is moving around as much as it can with a glob of lava in the middle of the globe.  I just now see some of the lava going to the top, thin strands almost. what can be added to make the lava less buoyant?

I love that glitter fluid color, great job with the highliter ink!!

I had seen this trick back in the 90's at a party house. they filled two liter soda bottles with water and dropped an ink pad in. makes a great black light piece for pretty cheap. and I can see it now that the fluid (in the above pic) is reacting to the black light. I don't have the light on.  all the lava did warm up and made its way to the top. the glitter doesn't seem to have "mixed" with the lava like I thought might happen.
It would be nice to be able to find black light options for all the lava light bulbs!
Keith said:

I love that glitter fluid color, great job with the highliter ink!!

I should mention, keith is right. the glitter and lava will not work together.  I was dead set on seeing glitter in a lava. so the next day from when doing this post. I strained the orange glitter fluid that did not fit in the lava. I then opened a lava globe that is flowing fine. and dumped in, maybe 1/8 teaspoon of glitter. when it warmed up and flowed, the glitter stayed at the bottom and It has never mixed with the lava at all either. I never see the glitter unless I'm changing globes or bulbs.

I do still want that glitter to mix with the lava at least. but only after I get my hands on the dry cleaning chemical mentioned above.  I was just going to dump the liquid and warm up the lava and mix it up (hopefully)

Keith said:

Perchlorate is what you need, but it may mess up the glitter and fluid.  It will make the wax heavier (or more dense) though.  It can be found in brakekleen, but only the red can.  Not sure where all you can find it but here is a link.  Check posts here for how and how much to use.  One major issue, do not use inside.  Only use outside in a well ventilated area, use a mask to avoid vapors.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/63337

Peter Piper said:

the lava will not sink to the bottom to get hot.  the glitter is moving around as much as it can with a glob of lava in the middle of the globe.  I just now see some of the lava going to the top, thin strands almost. what can be added to make the lava less buoyant?

I'm diggin it!  thanks a lot

Marcel said:

For fun I tried to add my glitter to a lava bottle and it did go inside of the lava bubbles and flowed up and down with the lava.

EDIT: Oh i found it:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2021   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service