Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Hi, I'm relatively new to the group and I've been lurking, looking thru posts for a bit to see if I can find a solution to my Lava Lamp issues.  I have four lamps; two of which are 32oz/16.5 lights.  They both are cheap Chinese lamps (LL brand) and one of them flows beautifully.  Lots of movement, great wax size, no sticking or heating issues.  The other, not so much.  I have looked at tutorials explaining how to refub them and I am okay with doing that if I need to but I wondered if there's anything else I can do in the meantime.  I am at work so I am not able to video it, but I will add that later if it is helpful.

Once I got it shipped to me, I let it warm up to room temperature for a day and then fired it up. It took a few hours, but once it started flowing, I began getting one bubble going up as another is coming down, or just doming with minimal movement at all.  The wax bubbles look larger than they should as well.  I let it go for four or five hours, turned it off and repeated it for another 6-8 hours each day since (including a few 12 hour days on my weekends) and nothing is changing.  I've had the lamp for about two weeks, now and the coil is seated properly.

I started off with a 40W golf ball and after a few days switched to a frosted 40W.  No real change there..I switched back to the 40W clear and then played around with putting aluminum foil as a reflector in the base and that seemed to help somewhat, but it's still very lazy.  

I guess my question is would there be any advantage to trying a higher watt bulb (either a reflector or not) with a dimmer to control the heat to see if I can get any better movement?  Like I said, I don't mind taking it apart to fix it, but I'd rather try other options first.  Again, if a video would be helpful, I can probably get one put together by tomorrow afternoon.

Thank you guys for any assistance!  I love this lamp and would be so psyched to get it moving a little bit more than it is right now.  Thanks again!

Views: 118

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Try putting the poor flowing globe on the other base.  Sometimes it can make a difference.

That's something I hadn't thought of.  I'll try it tonight.  Thank you!

Ok, so I tried switching bases..no change.  In fact, it seemed to be slower than it was before I switched them.  I took a picture and a short video and I will try and upload them so you can see what I am dealing with.  Obviously, it's the lamp on the right (rainbow colored globe) that has the issues.  Again, any ideas would be great!  Thanks again!

Here's the photo

Attachments:

I can't get the video to upload, but I will try again tomorrow.  Basically, it is just doing pretty much what is in the picture.  Every so often a large bubble will go up but not nearly the action that the red lamp has.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Mark Goo created this Ning Network.

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2021   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service