Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I recently purchased a Gemlite on Ebay. The lamp is in great shape, but there is about an inch gap between the fluid and the top of the globe. What can I use to top off the globe? Will distilled water work? How about clear lava fluid? Any ideas on what to use? Thanks,
Brad

Views: 147

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I see three options:
Use SteveSF's idea, and buy a Wizard globe from Lava World's web site. Refill with that. Make sure not to fill more than 1/2" below the widest part of the globe, to allow for expansion when heated.
Use Astrobaby's idea, and buy a Glitterbaby globe off eBay UK and refill with that. Again, leave expansion room.
With either of these, DO NOT try to mix formulas, and clean the inside of the globe thoroughly before refilling!

BUT... Here's what I recommend. You've got a very nice Model 650 GemLite, model name "Confetti". It's only missing about 1/2" of liquid - these were not filled right up to the top. These are also not all that common. And if the cap is glued on, as some are, you do risk breaking globe and/or cap in trying to remove it. The caps are plastic, the globe's neck very narrow. I recommend you keep the lamp original as-is, and enjoy its sparkly, showy effect, which neither a Wizard (can't get a clear one any more) or a Glitterbaby (slower-moving glitter) can match. AND yours has the multicolor sticker under the bottle, yes? Those usually get brittle and fall off with age.

The choice is all yours, but I suggest keeping it original. Again, it would have been filled no more than 1/2" more than it is now, and it looks great!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service