Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Hi there. I am completely new, so please bear with me.
I just found this website a day or so ago. Wow, this is an awesome site!
Here's how I found you. I saw a Florence Art Co. glitter lamp on ebay the other day. I was outbid at the last minute. Here's the link to the auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170...
I don't know anything about their prices or rarity. It looks to me like you guys have collected all of them yourselves! Maybe there aren't any more out there!
I would like to see if I can find one of these (Florence Art Co. glitter lamps - a plain looking one like this brass colored one). I would prefer the 10 inch one or perhaps smaller (if they made them smaller).
Here's a link that shows the styles:
http://vintageglitters.carbonmade.com/projects/61165
I like the style of #1 or #2 or the clock (#21). I might consider some other model also, but would prefer #1 the most. I liked the red one on ebay, but would consider other colors. Does anyone have one they might be willing to let go? If not, does anyone know where I might try to find one? If it doesn't break the bank, I am willing to pay a finder's fee.
ANY information at all would be very much appreciated!!!
Thanks.
Cheers,
Jen P.

Views: 49

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Little is known about these. "Oil glitters" was a term coined by the French glitter collector Karoll. The liquid is thick and oily, the glitter seems to be tiny shreds of aluminum leaf, and the action is very slow. They use a 7-watt bulb and can be left on for hours - if the glitter eventually sinks to the bottom, just upend the globe to mix it back into the flow.

The illustrated list was my work, and the numbers exist only to correspond with a text document describing each model. No real model names or numbers are known. On the same link, you'll find photos of a large oil glitter collection owned by Bryin. I have a few, too - nos. 1, 2, 6 and the double clock. The clocks were produced not by Florence Art Co. but by MasterCrafters Clock & Radio of Chicago. Another known company is Heat Tapes, Inc. of Chicago, which produced nos. 15, 16 and possibly 17 - they also produced (or sold) a knockoff lava lamp in the same casing. There are likely connections between all of these companies, all located in Chicago, but little is known about that either.

No. 1 at ten inches is the smallest lamp - same as that red one you bid on - a very cute little lamp. Some of the models include extra elements, such as wood (nos. 9, 10, 11, 13) or painted, cast plaster (no. 12) and, as you can see, there are double and triple models. (The "wood" on nos. 15, 16 and 17 vary - 15 is wood, 17 is metal, 16 is one or the other) Not much is known about no. 19 - I saw one and was certain that its tiny cap must be someone's replacement but, no, all I've seen have it. At the bottom is an array of colors - clear, yellow, amber, flame orange, red, pink, mint green and emerald green, and sapphire blue - plus the "blue purple", a dark blue which, when lit, shows a gradient from steel blue at the bottom through purple to wine red at the top.

I, too, am after more of no. 1. The one I have already, in blue-purple, is one of the few lamps I have that I will keep always, it's too unusual. eBay is your best bet unless... Bryin? Any extras for sale?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service