Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Here is what I suspect is an easy question for the oozing experts here. I have a lamp that has been in our family for over 30 years and the red goo is acting strange. After the "lava" starts to move there is a large amount that floats at the top and has what looks like fish eyes or bubbles in the mix and won't recirculate to the bottom. I suspect (can't be certain ) that the goo is original, the lamp is powered by a 40watt appliance bulb. I really miss the great action and wan't to take care of our old friend!
Suggestions..........

Views: 245

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sad to say there are no identifing marks or tags anywhere on the glass or base.
Hi and welcome to Oozing Goo,

Have you been using this lamp regularly in recent years?

If so how regularly?

If not so, how long has it been unused? Can you upload a pic?
Over the last 8 years the lamp has seen regular use monthly on the average. With the exception of 2007 where it sat idle while we remodeled our home. In 2008 I would say it has been used every 6 to 7 weeks. It had been fine until the last couple of months. Attached is a photo of the lamp. I had been looking for a model number today when the liquid was agitated, while at operating temp., That clouded the "water". At that point I turned the unit off. I had just restarted it when this photo was taken.
Attachments:
I have a similar problem with a Century Model 100 lamp [dated Sep'73] I just bought on eBay. It clearly suffered from a bad case of the shakes during transport but I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my hand filter to clear the solution. You will also note however that I get a large amount of floating bubbles, see attached.

Is there anything that can be done about it? What did you mean when you said the liquid is gone?

Thanks.
Attachments:
Ok - but is there anything that can be done about the bubbles as seen in the picture or is it somethng that I will have to learn to live with?

Thanks.

Hello everyone, I just read through this thread. I have exactly the same red Lava Lamp as Rene Lamothe has and with the SAME PROBLEM! (a vintage lamp too)
I am certain that there are threads here that explain exactly what needs to be done to rectify this issue...could anyone direct me to the fix?
My red Lava Lamp was working just fine until a couple of months ago.
I do have a 40w bulb in there...please help!!!!!!!!!!  thanks

Check here under the "Common lava lamp issues" section: http://oozinggoo.ning.com/page/lava-library 

Artista said:

Hello everyone, I just read through this thread. I have exactly the same red Lava Lamp as Rene Lamothe has and with the SAME PROBLEM! (a vintage lamp too)
I am certain that there are threads here that explain exactly what needs to be done to rectify this issue...could anyone direct me to the fix?

Erin,,thank you for the response..I have been looking through those items,,very helpful.. thanks for the suggestion.
I hope to be able to get my 32oz Red running correctly soon..
Erin said:

Check here under the "Common lava lamp issues" section: http://oozinggoo.ning.com/page/lava-library 

Artista said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service