Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I find the following very disturbing:

"We are not aware of any problems with this item, but it is being sold entirely “as is” only and without any form of warranty or guarantee whatsoever and for display purposes only. This must NOT be connected to any form of electrical supply until it has been thoroughly checked by a qualified electrician and is therefore sold strictly for display purposes only and NOT as a working item and the mains plug will be removed.."

I repeat "THE MAINS PLUG (Plugs into the wall) WILL BE REMOVED."

What the hell are they thinking? Let's cut the plug off of an antique lamp because it hasn't been tested by a qualified electrician. It's not like they are selling hazardous chemicals or selling alcohol to teenagers. They are meddling way too much. Also, this paragraph was worded and posted in a way that could have gotten easily overlooked by the poor bidder. You could have gotten a plugless lamp and had no legal recourse since it is mentioned in the auction. Whomever bids on it should make sure ahead of time that the knife happy seller doesn't cut off the plug.

SCOTT13A

I saw this too and thought it looked a bit like a variation of 'Hunter'. My friend Paul reckons it's French.

J
I believe that, in England, they have to legally remove any plugs from vintage electronics of any kind. Not everyone is aware of this and, of course, not everybody does it.
Who is the government genius who came up with this ridiculous law?
I think Brian is right about this law, and basically it's in place to stop people thinking 'oh well, i'll just plug it i anyway'

i don't actually have a problem with that, as if it is foreign to me, i would have had to adapt the plug anyway.
besides that, a most interesting design which i think looks really cool

thanks for comments guys
:)
I, too, say it's probably French, though I've seen a LOT of French lamps, and never this one. That aside...

I'm not certain that it's a law, but sellers in the UK often cut off the plugs. This forces the buyer to have a new plug added, which is usually done at an electrician's shop, thus subjecting the device to a safety check. This leaves less chance of the buyer using an unsafe item, getting hurt (or worse) and the seller being a potential lawsuit target. It's actually a very sound practice.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service