Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

That is the basic style, but you can choose from 20 colors for the glitter, 42 colors for the base, and 10 colors for the oil (11 including "clear") I hope to actually mod these and sell them soon, but my shipment hasn't even been manufactured yet.

So, if you guys don't mind, please let me practice by showing you what some lamps look like that you created! This is not a pre-order or anything, you haven't just committed to buy anything. :P I just need some experience building this web interface.

SO, if you want to participate, just post here, and tell me what colors you want for everything! Ok, here are the choices:

BASE COLORS:

- Red

- Strawberry

- Orange

- Yellow

- Lime

- Green

- Kelly Green

- Sky Blue

- Blue

- Royal Blue

- Purple

- Violet

- Fuscia

- Hot Pink

- Ballet Pink

- Gold

- Silver

- Copper

- Black

- White

- Brown

- Metallic Red

- Metallic Strawberry

- Metallic Orange

- Metallic Yellow

- Metallic Lime

- Metallic Green

- Metallic Kelly Green

- Metallic Sky Blue

- Metallic Blue

- Metallic Royal Blue

- Metallic Purple

- Metallic Violet

- Metallic Fuscia

- Metallic Hot Pink

- Metallic Ballet Pink

- Metallic Gold

- Metallic Silver

- Metallic Copper

- Metallic Bronze

- Metallic Black

- Metallic White

GLITTER COLORS:

- Red

- Strawberry

- Orange

- Yellow

- Mint

- Green

- Kelly Green

- Sky Blue

- Blue

- Royal Blue

- Violet

- Fuscia

- Hot Pink

- Ballet Pink

- Gold

- Silver

- Copper

- Black

- White

- Rainbow

LIQUID COLORS:

- Clear

- Red

- Orange

- Yellow

- Green

- Aqua

- Sky Blue

- Blue

- Purple

- Violet

- Pink

Whew! That's all the color choices! Hopefully I can make my database editable on the fly, so that I can take things off temporarily when I run out, and add new things when I find them.

So if anybody wants to try this, pick some colors, and I'll show you what your lamp would look like!

Views: 1509

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice one! I like the way this one turned out. :) Some neat things can be done by combining colors of glitter and oil, but I guess you really can't beat colored glitter in clear oil, or silver glitter in colored oil.

Aladdin 2 Lava said:

Metallic purple/silver/purple.

There you are! It looks a little bit different than I imagined it would, but I still like it ok. What do you think? I REALLY hope I can maintain a lot of accuracy with these mockups. I'm going to have to issue a disclaimer that the images are meant only as a suggestion, but if people are not happy with their lamp I will fix it for them. :)

Erin said:

Base: Metallic white

Liquid: sky blue

Glitter: copper 

Hard to tell, but I'm excited to see how these turn out! 

You are welcome!

I actually did yours over...spent a while on it, too...and then I remembered the 15-minute edit rule. LOL! Oh well. I had just forgotten to reduce the opacity of the oil layer, so your oil looked a bit cloudy. Also, I'm thinking I might completely re-do the non-metallic bases in these images. they look a bit washed out!

Mattmos said:

Thank you Sir, I actually like it.

I think the problem may be that I need to re-do the copper glitter layer. It looks a bit dull to me, now that I look at it that way. If it were a little redder, I think it might look better.

Erin said:

Hard to tell, but I'm excited to see how these turn out! 

I think the blue base w/red liquid and white glitter would be cool. Get 'em going Mark, I'll order a couple from you.

Oh...that reminds me...these lamps will all be wired for US electrical systems. Any lamp which I import to the UK will have to be re-wired, unfortunately. That is yet another pitfall of buying such a small lot. I had to pick a region. I am learning a LOT right now though (when I have time because I'm still helping take care of my dad), and I'm trying to learn some simple wiring so that I can make a dimmer switch, so maybe I can rewire some of these lamps for UK electrical systems?

And I appreciate your encouragement!

I still have to wait a long time to get these units in. Maybe I can get things going before the Summer?

And also...I've been modding this kenart lamp that I just got. The glitter I'm using is, I think, identical to what I've ordered in sheet form. It seems to flow correctly in oil, but I strained out the glitter and liquid that was in the bottle, and added the new glitter...and it floated. No flow. Also, when I tried to add a little oil to it, it beaded up on the surface. That's not oil-based liquid in there...whatever it is. Now my finger is burning where I got some of that stuff on it. @_@ WTH.

I'm getting some proper mineral oil tomorrow. GOOD OLD MINERAL OIL. Sheesh...I feel poisoned.

Thanks for doing that Mark, great fun/thread.

Pete :)

Mark Hand said:

Nice one! I like the way this one turned out. :) Some neat things can be done by combining colors of glitter and oil, but I guess you really can't beat colored glitter in clear oil, or silver glitter in colored oil.

Aladdin 2 Lava said:

Metallic purple/silver/purple.

Are you looking into custom shape glitter?

Yes I am, actually. Right now I have about 25 shapes, and I'm trying to collect as many as I can. I have over $50 in glitter sheet stock ordered right now...I really hope that stuff will work. If not, then I'm going to have to go down to a thinner gauge sheet I guess. I won't give up though. I HAVE to make a lamp with rainbow butterflies with a black base and cap, 7 colors of glitter, in 3 butterfly shapes. OH, and a bronze base and cap, and red, orange, and yellow leaves...in maple and oak shapes.

Why not ask the manufacturer what type of glitter to use?

Mark Hand said:

Yes I am, actually. Right now I have about 25 shapes, and I'm trying to collect as many as I can. I have over $50 in glitter sheet stock ordered right now...I really hope that stuff will work. If not, then I'm going to have to go down to a thinner gauge sheet I guess. I won't give up though. I HAVE to make a lamp with rainbow butterflies with a black base and cap, 7 colors of glitter, in 3 butterfly shapes. OH, and a bronze base and cap, and red, orange, and yellow leaves...in maple and oak shapes.

I won't give up until I get those working...

Because I haven't been able to track down the manufacturer, unfortunately. All I can track down is s middleman who inflates the price, and isn't too keen on telling me where he gets his stuff. :( It's all in search terms, and finding the right ones for what you're looking for.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service