Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I have a Telstar Rocket, clear/turquoise received a few days ago.  It was not hot weather when it was delivered, but after letting it sit for a couple of hours, I turned it on.  Within less than 15 minutes, it spiked a little up one side, but then started shooting dime sized blobs of wax at lightening speed all the way to the top.  Being a rank newbie, I didn't know what to do, but from reading here it appeared it might be running too hot.  I put an inline dimmer on it and slid it down to about 65 percent (just a guess, since this dimmer is not marked), and now it is flowing great.  It takes at least half an hour or a bit more to start spiking now, but after the spikes collapse, it is flowing with long stretchy columns and breaking into large blobs too.  Did I do the right thing?  I sure don't want to fry this lamp!!!   This color is gorgeous, I've never seen anything like it, it looks like neon but a very strange brilliant turquoise. The lamp was a bit hazy at first, but has cleared up now.  Has anyone else had to put a dimmer on their Telstars?  Please tell me I didn't screw it up.

Views: 782

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Beautiful!  I just had a talk with my wife about  buying a $25 Grande, um, yeah.  I had cowboy boots when I was growing up that I kept for YEARS after I outgrew them, just because.  I don't think I could get my size 16's IN cowboy boots now!

EGAD, size 16's????  I would think your shoes would take up the entire closet!  :-)  My pitiful shoes are size 5's, so they don't take up much closet space.   Uh Oh, on the Grande talk with your wife.  The Telstar talk might not go well at all....Shucks.  

It wasn't a no, it was "use your best judgement".  Ugh. 

Oh dear, I really hate that phrase when I hear it.  Ugh is right.   These are getting scarce, at least the ones wired for the US, so I think it would be a good call to get a Telstar while you can, and a good investment for later if you need to sell it.  Very good excuse!! 

lol  I'm gonna try to finish my neon series and get the plaid w/pink lava before I plan on something else.  Oh, and ask for understanding after instead of permission before. 

Hahahaha, Good move, Keith!!!

Who says they're getting scarce?

Marley's Ghost said:

Oh dear, I really hate that phrase when I hear it.  Ugh is right.   These are getting scarce, at least the ones wired for the US, so I think it would be a good call to get a Telstar while you can, and a good investment for later if you need to sell it.  Very good excuse!! 

Sorry, Phishy, I should have said they are down to just a few colors on LampLust.   Amazon is fullfilling the orders and there aren't many left.   I wondered why.   I don't know where else to get them either, maybe you do.

I'm pissed at Lamplust. I ordered a Fireflow O1 and they sent me an R1. Not exactly easy to get ahold of someone in their customer service dept, either. 

As for the Telstars, can you order them through Amazon now?

I'd LOVE to have a Mathmos lamp.......those are just really expensive, and I can't say i'm particularly fond of the rocket shape, especially at that price. :-/

Nevermind, I see them on Amazon now. 

You're right, just a handful of each color left. 

But UGH that price!!!   :-(

I just received my Telstar from LampLust yesterday. Unfortunately for me I am very disappointed. The first thing is the fact that I am a collector and as a collector paying a premium price for a brand new lamp I expected it to arrive in original Mathmos packing. Not the case. The Telstar arrived packed in a plain brown unmarked corrugate shipper, no Mathmos packing at all, just the lamp parts packed in paper and bubble wrap inside the box. Secondly the lamp arrived missing two of the clear plastic protective covers on the legs. And third the bulb does not work. I contacted LampLust customer service regarding my problems and they said they would take care of the missing and broken parts but had no explanation for the lack of original Mathmos packing other then "thats how we receive our orders".

On the upside, and there is an upside. The Telstar certainly does seem to be a quality constructed lamp. I only hope that it performs as well as it looks but I won't know that for sure until my new bulb arrives.

I know, the price is horrible, but I really like the Telstar Rockets.  I ordered my clear/turquoise, which they say is no longer available, directly from LampLust.  The man I spoke to has called my home 3 times and emailed me twice to see if I liked the lamp.  He was very nice, but I have no idea why he did that??   Maybe he liked my East TN accent.  LOL 

Anyway, when I got that first lamp, it came in an Amazon box and freaked me out.  I had no idea that Amazon was fullfilling their orders.   At least they get here in 2 days on UPS, which is great!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service