Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

So. . . I was going through some boxes about a month ago, and found my old lava lamp from when I was like. . . 11/12. (I'm 24 now.) After doing some research I found out that Hot Rock was a model produced by Creative Motion (if I'm looking in the right places.) I have no idea how to identify the age on this lamp, as there are absolutely no dates anywhere on the dang thing, but I know it's at least 12/13 years old. However, that's not even my issue at the moment.

After finding the lamp I just stuck it in a corner in the bedroom because I had some other, more important things, to worry about. Anyway, about two days ago I decided to plug it in and see if it worked. The last thing I remember about the lamp, the last time I tried using it, the wax didn't flow right. Well. . . The wax flows okay, and the water was only a tiny bit cloudy, which I figured was due to how old the lamp is. Great. However.

After having it cycle for two days now, it appears as if the chemical of whatever is in the lava has just about 85% bled out into the water, making the water VERY cloudy and the wax has taken on a transparency from losing whatever it is that made it opaque.

Also, The wax itself doesn't seem to blob in any other way other than mostly golf ball sized drops, along with a few smaller ones, and isn't as globby as it use to be when I was a kid. (I was a typical child and shook the thing, quite often, but it's always worked even after that.) It does have some issues sticking back together at the top and the bottom, kinda sitting there in little balls at either end, so I'm not sure if it's a heating issue or not, and I'm currently using what I believe is the same exact bulb that came with the lamp, a 40w clear reflective.

So here's my question:
Do I continue to cycle the lamp and see if the cloudiness goes back into the wax? Or is it shot and I should just replace the water in it? Filtering is out of the question because I cannot, and will not buy a filter for almost/over $100 just for one use. This is the only lamp I have and right now, taking on other lamps as a hobby (which I want to do) is just out of the question given I have a newborn and income is tight as it is. I'm not concerned too much at the consistency of the wax, given it mostly flows properly.

Any comments/advice/suggestions would be helpful. I will include pictures. Thank you!

Views: 3564

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Most glass bottle Cokes have a crimp cap that can be used, I have a drawer full of them if you need some, HAHA. Trick will be to get the cap off as clean as possible from the donor bottle, be it Coke, beer, juice, etc. so that it will cap over the lava globe cleanly. Small hose clamps are about .20 cents at a local hardware store.

EDIT: Good trick to get a cap off clean, don't use a bottle opener. Not sure if you have seen anyone pop a bottle open with a lighter but that will produce the best result in achieving a flat and clean crimp cap.

Welp. I was a dumbass, and decided to see if I could twist the top off anyway. I ended up only breaking the seal on the dang thing. I looked at my husband and said, "Weeeell. Don't turn this lamp upside down." Lol.

And yes, I have seen it, and even done it but boy is it a pain in the rear and can sure mess up the lighter!

HAH, you will release the genie from the bottle! The project has begun at least ;) I have not seen a kitted Hot Rock :) You can substitute the lighter for something else, like a spoon handle or a marker, just adjust your leverage finger. Talk someone else into doing it, let them bust up their finger, HAHA!

My lamp has a cap like that, although it's quite a bit smaller. What I did was I used a small screwdriver and carefully pried it open, then I just flattened the edges back to original position after I was done :) Well, never mind. Just saw that you broke the seal.

Best of luck finding a replacement :)

VOXul said:

Unfortunately that cap may not be salvageable. It is crimped around the bottle lip and will need to be pried off of the top. You can do your best with a small screw driver but chances are the metal will split while opening. Good news though is that almost any pop off bottle cap can replace it! Keep your eyes peeled for a cap that looks to be flat, not bent or dented up. Once ready, pop the replacement cap over the lip (sometimes it can put up a fight) and then use a small hose clamp to carefully crimp the cap edges back in. I can get a picture of a globe of mine with a hose clamp to show what I mean. Once crimped on good you can take the hose clamp off and you will be back in action!

My buddy purchased the Goo Kit for me, so it's just a waiting game for now. I'm rather excited to do this!
Question, how do I go about melting the wax to add it into my globe? Am I going to have to dirty up a glass food dish for this and boil it that way? Like, a glass cup?

Even though I "broke" the seal (it was just a soft pop, and what sounded like air being pulled in) I should still be able to use it if I get it off, right? I mean, I only twisted the thing. It looks like there may be a little plastic plug underneath, and that might have been what I heard, that plug seal coming loose when I twisted it. I'm hoping so. If I can get the cap off with little issue and still be able to use it again. . .

Arturxxx said:

My lamp has a cap like that, although it's quite a bit smaller. What I did was I used a small screwdriver and carefully pried it open, then I just flattened the edges back to original position after I was done :) Well, never mind. Just saw that you broke the seal.

Best of luck finding a replacement :)

VOXul said:

Unfortunately that cap may not be salvageable. It is crimped around the bottle lip and will need to be pried off of the top. You can do your best with a small screw driver but chances are the metal will split while opening. Good news though is that almost any pop off bottle cap can replace it! Keep your eyes peeled for a cap that looks to be flat, not bent or dented up. Once ready, pop the replacement cap over the lip (sometimes it can put up a fight) and then use a small hose clamp to carefully crimp the cap edges back in. I can get a picture of a globe of mine with a hose clamp to show what I mean. Once crimped on good you can take the hose clamp off and you will be back in action!

Very cool on the gookit score! You will microwave the plastic container that the wax comes in. Once melted in the plastic container, pour it slowly down the funnel and tube they give you, at the bottom of the cleaned globe. Make sure the coil is in the globe too.

The sound you heard was probably, as you said, pressure entering the globe under the seal. This is why corks can cause problems when used with no cap. When capped cool and globe then brought to high temperature may build enough pressue to force the cork out. Cork while hot and it leaves the potential for the cork to get sucked in as the lamp cools down. Temperature expansion and contraction at play.

Maryah said:

My buddy purchased the Goo Kit for me, so it's just a waiting game for now. I'm rather excited to do this!
Question, how do I go about melting the wax to add it into my globe? Am I going to have to dirty up a glass food dish for this and boil it that way? Like, a glass cup?

So. . . What if I tried to put the cap back on while it's hot? Would that suck it back down and seal it up again? Lol.

VOXul said:

Very cool on the gookit score! You will microwave the plastic container that the wax comes in. Once melted in the plastic container, pour it slowly down the funnel and tube they give you, at the bottom of the cleaned globe. Make sure the coil is in the globe too.

The sound you heard was probably, as you said, pressure entering the globe under the seal. This is why corks can cause problems when used with no cap. When capped cool and globe then brought to high temperature may build enough pressue to force the cork out. Cork while hot and it leaves the potential for the cork to get sucked in as the lamp cools down. Temperature expansion and contraction at play.

Maryah said:

Essentially, yes. It will create a vacuum causing a cap seal while it cools. If it is not crimped tight back onto the globe though, it will loosen itself off and unseal with the rise in pressure from heating.

Well, if I can salvage the cap I'll make sure to crimp it really good. :)
Does it being unsealed cause any problems? Other than spilling if it gets knocked over that is.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service