Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I Can Take No More - Colossus Goo Kit Project (Sorta')

I've tried different coils, removing the small coil, putting in new custom coils, slowly warming the wax for weeks - still my Purple/Pink has not responded.  

It is just too sensitive to temperature changes in its environment - meaning it only runs well in a very narrow temperature range.  I'm convinced its the bloody wax.

So, I've drained the liquid, and I'm in the process of melting the wax on the base.  My plan is to goo kit it with clear liquid and that pretty neon blue everyone likes so much.  This should be fun!

Views: 14670

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A Colossus glitter would be unbelievable, Critter.  LOL  Loren really would have to send you bucket loads of glitter!  I double dog dare you to do it!  :-)

Critter said:

I had put a hole in one of mine a couple months ago to check fluid density.  Oh, and yeah I would so do a Goo Kit on one when the time comes.  If I had bad luck after the Goo Kit, I'd get with Loren and get bucket loads of Glitter and make the biggest Glitter Lamp ever!  LOL

Critter

THat would be awesome

Update:
I let it rest for a day, and turned it back on at noon today. Five hours later, it's flowing beautifully AGAIN! I LOVE the pink and the purple now. What used to irritate me has now become a real joy to turn on and watch!

I wouldn't know how to act to see all that snakey flow!   I think all my lamps are so small, they just have one.  That is fabulous, Kirk, you did a stupendous job on that!   I bet you think all the work (and fear of pyroclastic flows) was worth the result!!  :-) It sure is for me and I only "cheered" you on!

Libby - Don't think I would have made it without you and Keith in the wee hours... Thanks so much!

Bill - I'll definitely post some pics later.  The hardest part is putting the black sheath back over the rubber cap that fits inside the globe top. You just have to get it started on one side then with some force stretch it around and down around the rest of the rubber cap.  I haven't crimped down the metal top, but that will be very similar to how I crimped down the metal top on my Grande -- slowly with a flat head screwdriver.

Ah shucks, Kirk, you know Keith will always be your advisor, and I'll always be your cheerleader!!  Thank you!!!   We did have a great time though, although I think it was due to being punchy in the wee hours.......LOL

Well gee, I've become an enabler after all. ;)  

My pleasure to help in whatever little way I may have.  I sure have enjoyed the process and the conversation! 

Kirk said:

Libby - Don't think I would have made it without you and Keith in the wee hours... Thanks so much!

Hey Keith, makes us feel good to be so special, huh?   LOL   I enjoyed every minute of that ordeal/process too! 

Keith said:

Well gee, I've become an enabler after all. ;)  

My pleasure to help in whatever little way I may have.  I sure have enjoyed the process and the conversation! 

Kirk said:

It is satisfying :)

Marley's Ghost said:

Hey Keith, makes us feel good to be so special, huh?   LOL   I enjoyed every minute of that ordeal/process too! 

A man of few words, but descriptive!!!  LOL, Keith!

Very nice you did really good

Kirk,

I've been away from OG for a week or two, and it was great to see your project from start to finish without all the waiting!  Great job.  Now we need you to compile everything you learned/did, formulas, ratios, etc. so the rest of us can try it!  We need a how-to-goo for Colossus from you. 

My replacement red/clear is also still running awesome at a wide range of temperatures.  My evil purple/yellow (on a new base) is better but not great.  It still gets stuck, it runs in a tighter temperature range, and the wax is bubbly.  I guess the goo-kit threat was enough to whip it into shape at least a little.  I haven't had the drive (or time or money) to goo kit it yet but now that it's been done I will be much more likely to try it!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service