Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Hi

About a month ago I got a "lava lite lamp" made in the USA from goodwill, one of the "new HOT elek-trick colors", it looked to be new in the box and never used as the tape was still on it. The model is 9413 if that matters. It said to use a 40 watt appliance bulb, which i've used many kinds, frosted clear ect ect. I find that it takes about 1-1.5hrs to get a decent flow going, but after that it only flows for about 1.5-2hrs until it forms one big blob on the bottom. I also tried a 25w bulb which was frosted and it didn't even separate.

I know this is not how they all act because I recently picked up an old starlite with a tiny bulb and though after a few hours it turns into a bunch of blobs going up and down as opposed to one or two long snake like blobs.

Is the behavior for the lava lite lamp normal, am I doing something wrong or is this the nature of the beast?

Thank You.

Views: 3197

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is that picture just sideways, or are you holding the lamp sideways to take the pic?   Holding it sideways while the wax is hot will usually cause the wax to detach from the coil.   I can't tell if it's the pic or you holding it that way.   With the lamp upright, it is NOT supposed to look like that.   If you've tried all bulbs suggested and it's still detaching from the coil, it might not just be from overheating, something else must be wrong.  I have a Heritage Century that detaches from the coil and I know for a fact that it's not due to overheating, it barely gets hot enough to even melt the wax.   Anyone else here who could please help Josiah with his problem?   This is over my head.  

That is vertical, or as close to it as I could, its not horizontal.

Ah Oh, then that's bad.......it is definitely off the coil.  I'm no expert by any means after you've tried all the other bulbs and the "spin" trick, so we need someone else to chime in here!

your options for not opening the globe are to continue to cycle the lamp as well as twist the globe while it's on the base using your hands (pot holders are useful).  it may or may not work over time - i don't know.

if you decide to open the globe, heat the wax to a liquid state, then fish the coil out with a metal hanger or something similar.  soak it in a degreaser for 24h, then clean with soap and water and return to the globe.  if that doesn't work, you can replace the coil.

So changing/replacing the coil. Is the cap usually a screw top or does it need to be pried off? What is a good degreaser?  If I need to get a new coil where do I go to get one?

Thanks.

The cap is like a soda cap, not a screw cap, Josiah.  Be careful getting it off cause it has to go back on to seal your lamp, so you don't want to trash it.  You can use a hose clamp to put it back on with.   Everyone uses different things to clean their globes, like WD-40, gasoline, and other options.   As for the coil, the easiest thing to do is rob one from a junk lamp that's the same size.  If yours is not bad, you can just take a piece of wire or coat hanger and make a hook in it and pull the coil out of the globe and clean it.  

There's a lot of great discussions and instructions in the Lava Library on removing caps, cleaning globes and replacing or cleaning coils.   Just use the search box at the top of the page and type in any of those phrases on whatever subject you need.  

It was the coil. I found a white/pink one of the same size and age that had separated wax, swapped the coils and now it works like a charm, a bit hot but thats a light bulb and temperature issue, much less of a mystery.

Thanks everyone!

Great news, Josiah.   Do you have a dimmer on hand to plug that lamp into? 

I have a dimmer but that's on my carlisle, I've got a frosted bulb I may try, or i've got a few dimmers on my christmas list because I have a feeling my lamp collection is going to grow.

Good idea, I had to get several dimmers over time and have them on hand just in case!   I don't think I ever had to use one on my Carlisle, but I have had to on a couple of my psychedelic swirls and a few others.

The room its in fluctuates in temperature widely, some times the dimmer needs to be up all the way, other times its at like 3/4 depending on how long its been on and the temp of the room, and I think my fan effects it somehow even though its pointed in the opposite direction.

My lamps are all in a room like that too.  Upstairs in the loft, it's hotter, but down here in the living room (with 30 foot ceiling) it is much cooler.   That's why my Heritage Grandes are off right now.   Too cool down here and they don't like "cool." ;-) 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service