Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

What's your favorite music to play while lava lamping?

I run my lamps while gaming and listening to music... basically, my daily routine. I worked in Harrisburg's last record store for many years so my collection is extremely varied. While I listen to pretty much anything (and am partial to oldschool punk/hardcore and hip hop beats), certain music really fits well with the ambiance my lamps give off. Animal Collective, 13th Floor Elevators, Phantogram, Massive Attack, Black Moth Super Rainbow, Liturgy, Madlib... these are some of my favorite artists to spin when I just want to chill (i.e. playing my NES/SNES instead of my Xbox One lol)

So what music do you enjoy putting on when you have your lamps flowing and you really want to chill? I'm hoping to cop some new grooves :-)

Views: 691

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like to listen to modern psychedelic rock/metal. Jex Thoth, Purson, Uncle Acid, Demon Lung, Blood Ceremony, Jess and the Ancient Ones, Ghost, and Avatarium are all good.

I know its predictable but Pink Floyd is one of my top ones to go with lamps the grateful dead is another good choice (again yea its predictable). 

For something more heavy I am really getting into industrial / electric industrial music so that and mettel goes well.

For the two longer videos I have shot I selected Phish and the Grateful Dead.

Are you a fan of Black Rebel Motorcycle Club? I haven't heard of most of those but I do love me some Ghost! Looks like I have homework tonight lol

Also, Floyd, Phish and the Dead are all excellent choices. It sucks I'll never get to see Garcia in person but this year I'm finally going to check out a live Phish show so I'm pretty pumped. I'm not really the biggest fan of their albums but the live stuff I've heard is great.

Rampaging Chipmunk said:

I like to listen to modern psychedelic rock/metal. Jex Thoth, Purson, Uncle Acid, Demon Lung, Blood Ceremony, Jess and the Ancient Ones, Ghost, and Avatarium are all good.

Nothing in the world beats a Dead show.  I probably caught about 50 or so shows; like Phish their studio work was very meh, but damn did they know how to do a live gig.  They had an absolutely ridiculous sound system and knew how to use it to its fullest.  And Jerry was one one of a kind.  The only way they could have continued is if they could have convinced someone like Carlos Santana to step in.  Look up Darkstar Orchestra if you get a chance.  The best ever Dead cover band and its not even close.

Enjoy the hell out of your first Phish show.  Haven't caught them (outside of streaming some live shows) since they reunited, but they are amazing musicians.  Some of their lyrics/songs are downright bizarre, bordering on pathetic... (David Bowie... UB40), but their instrumental prowess makes up for their lack of decent lyrics.  That's where the Dead stomped Phish; Robert Hunter provided some beautiful, poetic material.

Chonzo said:

It sucks I'll never get to see Garcia in person but this year I'm finally going to check out a live Phish show so I'm pretty pumped. I'm not really the biggest fan of their albums but the live stuff I've heard is great.

I agree, the Dead used sound to their advantage like none other. I used to be on Archive.org damn near every day to hear a new show. I love how none of their songs are ever "finalized"... they always evolve and change throughout time (and even show to show).

Spacey classic rock.. I welcomed my big black into my home with it which I found properly fitting. It responded quite nicely after staying up all night with it. Here it is showing off for the camera. I even got a momentary appearance of Robert Plant . Wasn't sure if my mind was playing tricks on me from lack of sleep. XD

Wow, that is absolutely beautiful! I have to get me a black lamp! Is that stock or did you gookit it?

Thank you Chonzo, it's my favorite lamp. Came directly from Lava Lite Co. in Chicago so it's stock.  To this day still has terrific flow and no cloudy from dye leakage :)

mostly electronica (e.g. techno, drum & bass, jungle).  www.di.fm is an excellent source.

other times i enjoy classic rock (e.g. zz top, skynyrd, zeppelin, floyd, hendrix).

shine on you crazy diamond is ridiculous with lava lamps and herbal additives.

Tim Gill said:

I know its predictable but Pink Floyd is one of my top ones to go with lamps the grateful dead is another good choice (again yea its predictable). 

For something more heavy I am really getting into industrial / electric industrial music so that and mettel goes well.

Yes, absolutely agree 100% lol

Brad said:

shine on you crazy diamond is ridiculous with lava lamps and herbal additives.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service