Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

WIN A MATHMOS LAMP or Which finish would you like to see on a mathmos base?

Since I still have two or three bases left for project-o-fun I though why not ask the community.
So is there any finish (nothing like platinum plating or covering in real saphires or so please)
you would have liked mathmos to do or you would want to do yourself but dont wanne risk fucking up your precious lamp untill you know it will be as cool as you imagine? Tell me and I'll try. The two or three ones I also like most will be done and I'll make a tutorial how to do yourself if it turns out to be nice.
I cant do stuff like flocking...tried...looks very very...not good! but there are loads of paints, coatings, glitter, or experiments like paints based on different solvents who hate each other I can try

Ok maybe we need some extra spice for this thread...cant belive that there are not more ideas out there...or do you all just take whats given to ya by the big lables out there!?
So if there are some creative people here read this :
As soon as I have 10 valid (possible to do without special machines) suggestions I will pick
one and the member who provides the idea gets a lamp made in a finish of his choice and I will send it for free...

Views: 684

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You probably have done this already and it might seem mundane, but GLITTER paint!!!!  Not metallic, more like Glitter.......like real glitter stuck inside the paint!!!

Hammy if you look at my pics you'll discover that the last 5 lamps I painted ARE coloushift paints...
carol you mean like this?
Attachments:
or this...
Attachments:

Yep, and in different colors.....maybe even a little larger glitter so it really looks like glitter over just metallic paint.

larger isnt available as spray coz of valve limitations but I git some glitter here. should work
Alladin by some coincidence involving wind, getting out of patience and the total nastyness of especially this paint here we have mother of pearl with a more organic look...I like it...but it wasnt supposed to look like this :)
Attachments:

No idea how you would do it, as regardless it would likely be very labor-intensive. I would bow down to you if you could replicate the look of a Lava Lite Retro Haze Swirl. I do believe Lava Lite used a process where they laid the paint on top of a water bath and then dipped the base through it. Kind of like you would do with an Easter Egg (if you color Easter Eggs in Germany the way us Yanks do).

Or a pinhole pattern if you haven't already, sorry I'm new
hammy how exactly do you imagine this pattern? Jim I didnt make this post to re create somethin that has been there, I rather wanted to see what people have in mind when they dream about what could be and see if its possible. The one I am anxious to see is the nightglow jet but havent started it yet :)

I completely understand Arne. I just chose the Haze Swirl as, even though its been done, it was not produced in large numbers and is quite the rare lamp. Larger than that, I wanted to toss out the the paint on water/ink floating technique itself (which appears to be a Japanese technique). The Haze Swirl type of effect would be one possible outcome, but you could probably do a plethora of things depending on your artistic vision. For more on the technique...

The Art of Painting in Water

Jim this is a mess...but with a bit of practice and more than 4 nail coats from my girlfriend I think I could get this done.
Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service