Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Hello, a few years ago my mom gave me one of her Fantasia 7000 glitter lamps. Everything has been fine with it up until a few months ago. All of the silvered glitter turned transparent and I am unsure why. She thinks it is possibly no longer sealed and oxygen got to it, but this cap is glued on SOLID. I am using the same wattage/type of bulb that she has always used in the lamp, which is 40w. I recently compared the bulb to the one in her Fantasia and it's exactly the same. Anyway, I need to fix this. I've never restored a glitter or lava lamp before but from what I can see, I need to get a kit like this one

https://goolamp.com/en/glitterkit/12-2387-glitterkit.html#/92-liqui...

As for the cap, I included a picture of the cap and the glue around it. I briefly attempted to take it off with a strap wrench but it didn't budge. Then I decided to post here before trying anything else to see what the best approach might be. I have a heat gun and X-Acto knife, and I can get any type of solvent if it's recommended. The cap appears to be brushed aluminum like the base but I am unsure if there is any plastic in the threading part of the cap.

Please let me know if you have any recommendations or suggestions for the cap or refill media, any are welcome and appreciated.

Views: 17

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have you tried standing the globe upside down to cap level in very hot (not boiling) water for a while? 

You're trying to melt the glue, so if that's no good, a hair dryer on full heat would be my first choice, (a heat gun can be too powerful and damage the finish)

When the glue is heated, then's the time for your strap wrench...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service