Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Giant on the way - dented base and slightly low fluid - need help

I have a lovely Giant on the way from eBay. The base has a dent in it and the fluid is a tad low. 

I'm looking for help getting that dent out of the base, as it looks to be significant.

Also, and I'm not real keen on opening up a Giant, but the fluid is a little low, and I'd like to top it off. I know these were made in 1996/1997 and I am willing to find and sacrifice a globe to top this off. I'm always scared of using distilled in case it ruins the flow.

If anyone has any advice on either of these issues, please share! :)

Thanks in advance! 

Views: 2197

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hey erin - no worries.  you know you're in the company of like-minded individuals who will help you make that lamp even better than it already is.

like MM said - that crap might stay at the bottom.  i look forward to seeing some pics tonight :)

Libby, the dent is turned towards the back and is about what I expected. 

I think the coil needs to be replaced, or cleaned. I *think* I have a mesh strainer that might be able to filter that gunk out of the wax. 

Trevor, yes, same gunk. I've got it in some other lamps, too. Sad to see it in this Giant. 

More pics tonight when I get home...

Libby is right, I'm OCD about my lamps, esp when I paid this much for one. It'll drive me crazy. 

Brad, thanks for the kind words... I know I'm in good company. :)

the liquid level will rise a bit when it's turned on.  oh behave!

LOL Brad, I know. We'll see how tonight goes. I'm not afraid to open up a lamp, but the only issue I can't fix is stuck wax, so I need to be careful if I attempt some work on this one. 

Thanks Bill! What's an SG reading?

Specific Gravity........I think.

OK, thanks. I don't have a device that reads that though. 

Erin, do you have a fish aquarium?   If so, and you have a refractometer, it is virtually the same thing as a hydrometer to measure the amount of salt in water when compared with pure water.   I bet you can pick either device up pretty inexpensively at a pet shop or on Ebay more than likely.

I do, but it's freshwater. So no refractomater. Thanks for the advice though!

No deep sea sharks, huh?  LOL   You're welcome!  :-)

just a heads up on the hydrometer/refractometer.  i'm not sure if a standard salt water hydrometer has a high enough upper measurement limit for lava lamps.  i think most hydrometers go into the 1.03 range (specific gravity) but the liquid in lava lamps MAY be a bit higher.  if you decide to get scientific with this project, i would spend a little more and get a refractometer just in case.  they are much more accurate regardless.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service