Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Giant on the way - dented base and slightly low fluid - need help

I have a lovely Giant on the way from eBay. The base has a dent in it and the fluid is a tad low. 

I'm looking for help getting that dent out of the base, as it looks to be significant.

Also, and I'm not real keen on opening up a Giant, but the fluid is a little low, and I'd like to top it off. I know these were made in 1996/1997 and I am willing to find and sacrifice a globe to top this off. I'm always scared of using distilled in case it ruins the flow.

If anyone has any advice on either of these issues, please share! :)

Thanks in advance! 

Views: 2197

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Brad. I'm not likely to get a refractometer anytime soon. I think I'd be pretty safe topping off with fluid from a 96/97 globe since it's not that low. I just wasn't expecting the third problem: shit in the wax. 

are the coils magnetic?  if so, and depending on what the shards are, perhaps you could magnetize (i.e. run a magnet over the coil), put it back in the lamp, and it will attract the shards.  then pull the coil and clean it off.  just a thought while i procrastinate other stuff i should be doing.

:) Brad. I'm not sure about the coil being magnetic. I think the gunk in the wax is not metal, but... well, maybe it is some kind of rust. Not sure. 

I am excited to go home and see how the lamp is doing. I should have set up a room cam. 

I'd spend the money for the better refractometer too, they are much more accurate in measuring than a hydrometer, and you can get them with a built in light.  We used them at the Water Plant in the lab.  We had to tap into an old mine shaft for the town's water supply when our reservoir dried up.  The water in the mine was very salty and we had to monitor it constantly.

It appears that this is a moot point now, since Erin is not going to buy one anyway......You all ran off and left me.  LOL

I had one from amazon, but it didn't have the right range for a lava lamp apparently. I returned it. 

Go for the gold......  :-)    You can figure it out without one, I'm sure.  You've worked on them enough.

Can't wait to see what it looks like when I get home tonight. Those dang flecks will drive me insane though. 

Good thing I have this PERFECT pink Elek-Trick from Trevor here at the office to remind me of what lava lamps can be!

I hope it will be fine too, but those flecks would drive me bonkers also.....UGH.    Yes, that pink Elek-Trick is gorgeous and perfect!!!    I love it!

Erin, I've had globes with the gunky wax wax and it didn't settle.  I was able to filter some of the flecks with, hmm I don't remember now what I used.  But I did get some of them.  A fryer splatter screen might work, or maybe cheesecloth, or even a brine shrimp net from your local aquarium store.  I don't think you'll get all of it though.  If you're patient enough you can pick them out one by one.  

Oh, and Libby, Eww!!

Ewww about "what," Keith, me dear???  LOL   Did I say something inappropriate or disgusting?

Picking them out isn't an option - there are tons of them... they are mixed in with the wax. 

Well, lamp is running, but slowly... it's been on since about 12:30 and isn't at full flow from what I can tell. You can't see the specks unless you're up close, but I want that coil out and cleaned. I will attempt to filter the wax with a metal strainer that I have. Should I open the lamp when cold or hot? I'm guessing cold. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service