Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Giant on the way - dented base and slightly low fluid - need help

I have a lovely Giant on the way from eBay. The base has a dent in it and the fluid is a tad low. 

I'm looking for help getting that dent out of the base, as it looks to be significant.

Also, and I'm not real keen on opening up a Giant, but the fluid is a little low, and I'd like to top it off. I know these were made in 1996/1997 and I am willing to find and sacrifice a globe to top this off. I'm always scared of using distilled in case it ruins the flow.

If anyone has any advice on either of these issues, please share! :)

Thanks in advance! 

Views: 2197

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love the ripples in the glass, from when it was being hand blown. the Colossus globes are the only other blowen glass globes LL did. I'm pretty sure anyhow those are the only two

Cold, the metal clamp is on very tight. so working it off would prob shake the lamp to much. I opened mine cold

Erin said:

Picking them out isn't an option - there are tons of them... they are mixed in with the wax. 

Well, lamp is running, but slowly... it's been on since about 12:30 and isn't at full flow from what I can tell. You can't see the specks unless you're up close, but I want that coil out and cleaned. I will attempt to filter the wax with a metal strainer that I have. Should I open the lamp when cold or hot? I'm guessing cold. 

Mine had the gunk all thru the wax and on the said after shipping. one I ran it twice it all settled and had stayed there ever since

Marley's Ghost said:

Unless it drops back down on the coil when it melts, Erin's appears to be in or on the wax, and not just in the bottom like yours, Trev.   I hope it's just between the wax and the globe, but she won't be happy till it's gone......

LOL im ocd about mine to lol. but if it stays out of the flow that's all I want :-). I even mark the the bottoms of my globes lol so when I switch them out I always know the best side with the least amount of flaws/ light spots

Erin said:

Libby is right, I'm OCD about my lamps, esp when I paid this much for one. It'll drive me crazy. 

Brad, thanks for the kind words... I know I'm in good company. :)

Trev, she'll never be completely happy with it, if even if those black things drop back to the bottom and stay.  She'll know the're there.  LOL    I would too.  

Racist lol jk jk jk just joking

Where's critter at!!! I wrote him a fun commit on the opal pic of mine lol

You'd best be jokin, Snort, cause I ain't no where near "Politically Correct."  LOL   

Critter must have hit the sack early!!   I haven't seen him, except earlier.   Where are your pics of the Opal fired up?

Metallica man Trevor said:

Where's critter at!!! I wrote him a fun commit on the opal pic of mine lolI'

Later tonight

It "is" later tonight.   Here..........like almost 1 A. M.   :-)    

Metallica man Trevor said:

Later tonight

Thanks Bill. 

The flow, so far, is not great on the Giant. Most of the time, it's a giant blob that hovers in the middle of the globe. 

In the next week or so, I will open it up, when I can find something big enough to hold the liquid while I filter out the shit in the wax. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service