Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Lava Lite's New Website & The NEW Heritage Collection

http://www.lavalamp.com/

The new Heritage Collection will be available to buy 10/28

**Updated the Heritage Collection will be released today on LavaLite Website at 10am CST. Heres a sneak peak!

*** http://lavalamp.com/heritage-collection ***

Views: 43103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I too was supposed to get a clearview replacement...but after she surprised me w/ the new century I didn't have the heart to call and ask about the clearview again.  I only paid $5 for it...figured it'd be come an experiment globe and since I have a USA glove that runs beautifully on that base I'm in pretty good shape. 

i'm getting 120v out of the outlet.

Jeff said:

I'm definitely going to have to check mine now too before I fire it up next.  It seems the last few times it took a bit longer than usual, it was 8 hrs warm up the 1st 2 times, then it seemed to settle in at around 6 hrs, but then the last time It took almost 8 again, and I thought it seemed a bit dimmer than usual (that's what made me think of low voltage).  Then I remembered reading that thread where someone suspected that may be an issue and also had a failure from a loose screw on the transistor in the dimmer.  There's went up in smoke.  98v is definitely low...120v is a nominal figure but its usually at least 115 or so.  What do you have coming out of the socket?  Would be interesting to see how many volts are being lost here.

Wonder if this could be contributing to the century issues too...  Although my 2nd globe is running on the same base as the 1st and the flow is much better. 

I think it has everything to do with the holes in the base. I put my pink on my grande starship base and it overheated.

Jeff said:

Did anyone see the thread I posted from another site that mentioned the theory that perhaps the dimmers weren't passing full voltage even when turned as far on as possible?  Then the dimmer failed completely?  

Youre choosing to ignore empirical evidence provided by Brad. At least in HIS case he had another problem, a voltmeter doesnt lie and he clearly tested 98v at the socket but 120v at the same power outlet.

Lala, my bubble problem was pretty bad, every single blob had at least 3 medium bubbles and they kept coming, the cause was overlapped coils, when the wax flipped the coils and they fell back down they interlaced with each other so the small one was stuck on the big one but above it, and this i guess caused bubbles, i had to tilt the globe slowly almost completely on its side to get the coils to un tangle. Fixed the bubbles and then they went popping little by little untill all gone

Autumn said:

I think it has everything to do with the holes in the base. I put my pink on my grande starship base and it overheated.

Jeff said:

Did anyone see the thread I posted from another site that mentioned the theory that perhaps the dimmers weren't passing full voltage even when turned as far on as possible?  Then the dimmer failed completely?  

Hey hey calm down. I forgot to refresh this page before posting and I opened it yesterday so I didn't see the new replies. Brad is totally right on this.

Rodrigo said:

Youre choosing to ignore empirical evidence provided by Brad. At least in HIS case he had another problem, a voltmeter doesnt lie and he clearly tested 98v at the socket but 120v at the same power outlet.

Autumn said:

Jeff said:

True

Lala, Autumn is right about the small coil overlapping the large one when they do the "flip" at start up and then melt and the coils get tangled up.  My V1 did that several times, but no bubbles, just a one-sided flow.    I did the same thing as Autumn did, and gently twirled the globe and it came loose every time.   That post is in this thread, but way back "somewhere." 

Now, if you are talking about your V2 Grande, it has only one coil....that might be another problem that someone with a V2 can figure out.     

OK i have run my neon grande's and at first they were pretty cool . Now they start off way bubbly just like Lala's and when they are fully heated up all i get is 'pea shooters' with a bubbly blob hanging out on top dripping blobs. There is NO snakey streams .  If i try to adjust the temp i get huge frozen spikes or just a pilliar of lava. I am not impressed at all . I have V2 lamps

from what i understand, bubbles in wax are from trapped water and result from an insufficient amount of heat.

Exactly - my experience has been bubbles occur when there isn't enough heat.

Brad said:

from what i understand, bubbles in wax are from trapped water and result from an insufficient amount of heat.

but i got both mine turned up all the way and the temp is 74 . and i got pea shooters here , no snakey stuff at all .

My guess is there is something wrong with your socket and/or dimmer.  I'd try testing the socket with a voltmeter per Brad's earlier post.

Joanne said:

but i got both mine turned up all the way and the temp is 74 . and i got pea shooters here , no snakey stuff at all .

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service