Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I thought I'd start a post on neat / rare eBay lava and glitter sales. Sometimes it's nice to remember the sale of a really cool or hardly-seen item.

Please only post completed/closed eBay auctions - please don't post any open sales!

I'll start off with the Princess wall model lava that sold tonight. Anyone here get this? :)

If you post to this thread with a completed auction, please try to include a screen shot, not a link. After so many months eBay removes auctions and for historical purposes, it'd be nice to see what sold.

Views: 20612

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

quite a price for this one

I"m having this same problem now.

Chow said:

But was it a chocolate? Did it have the right date code? I thought they didn't look black at all but was more of a brown. The bottom is black but the lava bubbles are lighter, could it be the lighting?

It hopefully is what I think it is.  Chow - this was the reason I tried to contact you this morning.

GAH! How did I miss that?!?! Jim, did you win it? Any chance you want to sell it? :)

A lovely Pedestal Kaleidolite, very rare. I'm lucky enough to have the other 'Silver Spinner' variant.

I got very lucky to stumble upon it with about 2 hours left in the auction.  The seller lived close enough to warrant a road trip so I already have the lamp.  I absolutely love the lamp!  Its cool and utterly depressing to see the advertisement for the lamp on the site. 

<rant>In the 1970 advertisement, a Century cost more than a 52 ounce lamp today.  The company that used to make quirky neat things like the Kaleidolite, wave machines, etc. now makes quirky pieces of crap like faux fur lamps.  High quality Giants selling at $300 are now low quality Grandes selling at $80.  Not the best analogy, but its akin to slapping a 4-cylinder Honda engine in a Ferrari just to bring the price down and appeal to the masses.  Its sacrilegious and you lose the mystique that the brand once had.</rant>

James - congrats, but you suck.  I bet you fart rainbows with that kind of luck.  :-)

Erin said:

GAH! How did I miss that?!?! Jim, did you win it? Any chance you want to sell it? :)

So, you're saying no to selling it? :)

Where was that advertisement? 

People do not value quality even though they say they do.  You would be surprised at how people balk at fair value on a "quality" American or British lamp and respond with. I can get a  china $20 lamp for less. I know what's being said, but I also know what the real behavior is when a quality vintage product is available at a fair value.

EDIT: I should add, there are a few people who do... and usually acquire some real gems!


Jim said:

Its cool and utterly depressing to see the advertisement for the lamp on the site. 

<rant>In the 1970 advertisement, a Century cost more than a 52 ounce lamp today.  The company that used to make quirky neat things like the Kaleidolite, wave machines, etc. now makes quirky pieces of crap like faux fur lamps.  High quality Giants selling at $300 are now low quality Grandes selling at $80.  Not the best analogy, but its akin to slapping a 4-cylinder Honda engine in a Ferrari just to bring the price down and appeal to the masses.  Its sacrilegious and you lose the mystique that the brand once had.</rant>

Yes, for now I am holding onto this lamp.  In talking to the sellers, they found this at Goodwill.  How come the Goodwills by me never have cool stuff like this.  Funny enough, the last Goodwill I went into did have a pink faux fur lamp.  I was tempted to vomit on it to enhance it.

Check the last image in Fogrider's Consort page.  There is a catalog page featuring the Kaleidolite and several other lamps.  Kaleidolite retailed for $15.95.  http://oozinggoo.ning.com/page/consort-lava-lamp-varieties

Erin said:

So, you're saying no to selling it? :)

Where was that advertisement? 

And indeed I have acquired quite a few gems Weebs, with many coming from this super great guy on the east coast.  ;-)

WeeboTech said:

EDIT: I should add, there are a few people who do... and usually acquire some real gems!


Pascal, PLEASE tell me you have a closer shot of that red boiler!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2020   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service